Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Brake Wiring

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Goose, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have an older model Kelsey Hayes brake controller. It has the line in that you tap into your brake line and three wires.
    The wires are labeled stop light, brake, and battery.
    I assume the stop light goes to wires under dash to stop light switch, the brake goes to the rear of truck to run the trailer brakes and the battery goes to battery. My question is the unit grounded by mounting or by the brake line or do I need to do anything else with it. Also the wire for the stop light looks like 12 ga like the other three making me think its for higher amp than what comes from the brake light switch.

The unit number is 81739. If any body has a link to a manual that would be cool. I've searched and cannot find one.

Thanks

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Trust me bud if that is like the one pictured below. Toss it and get a new one. Not that it is bad but any of the older controllers that require tapping into the actul fluid line on your brake system is asking for trouble. You can get an all electronic unit for a little dooh and the headaches will be alot less.

2a_1_b.jpg

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

There is nothing wrong with the kinds that tap into the m/c fluid. I've owned and a million of others have owned those for years with never having an issue. Your going to have just as many issues with an electric one as you will with a fluid one.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I still disagree but we are all intitled to our .02

I have repaired customers leaking lines from the older style and replaced them with new ones. Mostly caused from poor routing of the brake lines. Never had "any" issues with the electical ones I have installed. The line tap method was before my time and I have only fixed them. All the electrical is the same on either method I believe the inertia control is what is being done by the line tap correct?