Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crwln73, Dec 15, 2002.

1. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Im going to finish my trailer finally.Im wondering about the brakes.My ? is are 9"discs better than 10"drums?Should I run them on all four wheels or can I go with disc/drum combo? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

I can't tell ya wich is better but if I remember I'll ask at work tomorrow, we do quite a bit of trailer supply. My preference would be for the drum brakes though. I beleive to run the disc brakes you would need to use a hydraulic/surge coupler wich can make baking up even more of a pain in the tulus than most people already think it is. On the atwood couplers you used to have to flip a little rod up to deactivate the brakes and as soon as you pulled forward the rod would flop back down and if you had to back up again then you would have to get out and reset the rod. I'm not sure how other brands worked out the backing situation but probably a similar setup. I spose you could rig a way to keep the rod up but you better make sure you remember to release it before you tow any where. I used to drag trailers quite a bit, actually drug one down into your area with 24 foot livestock panels hanging 4 feet off the back off the trailer. in my opionin Electric is the only way to go on trailer brakes. THere are arguments pro/con as to whether to run em on the rear axle/front axle or both. SOme states require both, I don't know california law on that, though we usually just ran one axle. Theres a trailer manufacture on 49 just outside Fresno (Sadler?) on the left as heading toward oakhurst might be worth a trip to go and talk like your interested in buying one from him and have him 'splain the pro/cons/legality of it all. Let me know what you decide and I might be able to pick brakes/hubs etc up for you from work for about 15% over shop cost if you want to come pick em up in Merced or Mariposa, I work in Merced for an ag manufacture, Kirby Manf. NO NOT VACUUM CLEANERS www.kirbymfg.com