Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trailer deck question

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by big83chevy4x4, May 4, 2006.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the main question is wood or steel?

im thinking about building my own trailer, but im torn weather or not to use a wood deck or steel diamond plate deck. im sure the supports would have to be different for each, also trying to price it out. im also conserned about weight.

is 1/8" diamond plate enough with supports every 2 foot?

id use 2x6 treated if i use wood, but what would be a good spacing for the supports, 16"? id probably use 4" c channel for the deck frame, its going on top of another frame otherwords i would use 5" or 6"

what i have planned is 18' 8' wide, the heaviest thing it will carry is my truck.

2. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

I have a bumper pull trailer with an 18 foot deck and it has 2x12s on it. The support spacing is 18 inches and this seems to bo ok. The problem is that the pressure treated wood doesnt last very long. The next time that I need to redeck I think that I'm going to use expanded metal. This shouldnt be much heavier than wood and will last a lot longer, also mud will fall right through.

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

From someone that doesn't have a trailer, i say wood. Its cheap, easy to repair, lasts fairly long, you can screw random things to it you don't feel like strapping down, good traction, lighter, easily replaceable down the road, etc.

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I keep having problems with my wood deck.The wood keeps warping. I am at work and can't tell you how far apart my supports are until Monday. I am thinking about going to metal myself.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the more i think about it im thinking steel over wood. there is alot of cost in the steel, but never replaceing would be nice. i got a rough estimate (no weight for c channel) in the weight and it looks about 1000 lbs total, isn't as much as i though it would be. the wood would be about 600 lbs im thinking.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you are going to use 1/8 I would double it for the wheel treads, that is awfully thing metal.

7. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Keep in mind steel will be slick. Especially if you get any oil or what not on it. I have had my trailer for 7 years with a treated 2x10 deck and it shows no signs of rotting and it is stored outside.--Eric

8. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I went with untreated 2x12's and just put Thompson's on it every year. Doing OK so far after 5 years. It cost $300 to deck it, so I sure don't want to do it again until I have to. I know a guy who bought rough-sawn planks from a saw mill and treated them with used oil once in a while. Seemed to work OK for him, but I can't tell you how long it lasted. He sold it.

9. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Mine is made of 3/16 tread plate steel (diamond plate)

10. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Keep in mind that steel will also add strength to the trailer where wood won't.

11. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Aluminum

I recently saw an interesting deck on a home made single axle utility trailer. The guy had used aluminum salvaged from bleachers at some athletic facility. I believe his runners were on 16" centers. I have no idea about the strength of this with regards to using it to re-deck a car hauler. It looks like a good way to save some weight. You would probably have to know somebody to get your hand on this kind of material what with scrap prices being what they are. Good luck!

12. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Keep this in mind, once the deck get's wet, if it diamond plate, it's slicker than greezed owl $hit. It's hard as hell to not slip around on. Including your rig or yourself.

I used wood on my deck on the gooseneck. I used the speciality Auto Trailer Deck screws and it worked great. Easy to upkeep and cheat if I have to replace.

Just my opinion.

Rob

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

steel gets hot as hell in the sun... is loud as hell if you drop something metal on it (2am at the camp site... you'll make enemies) and it can be spendy too.

I'm going with wood, though I may use the steel mesh stuff in the middle (the whole length, between the tires). Not 100% sure yet.

j

14. k5onswampers

k5onswampers Registered Member

the deck plate(steel diamond plate) is Awsome but pricey. Wood is exellent for cost and it lasts along time mine is 5 years old and wood is in great condition. And you have to watch out with the expanded metal it doesn't support the weight good it will break near the welds if there is alot of pressure.