Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer for the Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Apr 9, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, checking into trailers (just sold the Honda /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)should I go deckover or car hauler and deal with the fenders/modify etc.? Seems deckover would be the way to go because of the width or do you think they are to high off the ground, whats the scoop guys?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd say a 16-18' car hauler w/modified fenders. you never realize how tall those deckovers really are until you're standing beside one. plus it takes a beast of a truck just to pull an empty one.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally like Tim's trailer setup. You have to get over the fenders, but it works well, and it keeps the center of gravity of a tall K5 like yours down which is always a good thing. The fenders aren't that hard to get over either. TJ got over them with just front wheel drive the night we went and got him off Spring Creek.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got both.

Two 10k equipment trailers with fenders, and one 10k deckover. the deckover is taller but not too bad. It makes getting the truck on the trailer much easier. I would caution a couple of things.

Get longer ramps, it makes loading and unloading alot easier. The ramps on my deckover are 7ft long. It makes getting longer trucks on alot easier. For the K5 its no big deal, but you know in the future you will be pulling someone else /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fenders can work, my two K5's just squeeze through but they're on 15x8 wheels, with 12.5" wide tires. I see lots of guys building little "pyramids" next to the fenders on their trailers to drive over them. They make these out of treated 2x6 or 2x8 lumber. It works pretty slick. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would go deckover for mine. Its just easier.

Yes they are higher, but I never have any trouble with anything. Make sure you get an adjustable coupler on the trailer or a taller ball mount, because they do ride higher.

On another note, if you can afford the 10k trailer, get it. Its nice to have the cushion factor knowing that you are not pushing the limits of a 7k trailer. All my trailers have brakes on both axles. I have pulled both 7k and 10k trailers before and the 10k is much more stable. Plus the braking is much improved.

Lastly, make sure the trailer is pulling as close to level as possible. Don't have it too high or low in the front. Trailers track better being level, plus the tendancy to sway is greatly reduced when pulling level. Also make sure the tires on the trailer are all equal pressure. This is very important, if they are not equal, they will wear very fast. (Ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

I know you didnt ask but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in on strapping the truck down too. I have always used axle straps and rachet tie-downs. I have never pulled down on the suspension of the truck. IMO it's not needed and it puts undue stress on the frame of the truck. I have strapped them down like this for 5 racing seasons, I have never had a problem or concern about the way I tie it down. I use one on each corner of the truck and make sure to check them for tightness after about 5 miles.

Hope all this helps,
    John [​IMG]

p.s. Sorry for the novel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I say go with the car hauler. You get to deal with the fender issue (I've totally killed one of mine, Hope to build something stronger this summer), but you can also use it for other stuff like cars and things a little easier. Did you get a tow rig?

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The answer......

It depends.

What's the tow vehicle. A deckover usually weighs in quite a bit more than a conventional car hauler.

I've used car haulers to tow my rig back from a pull (broken 205 t-case) and it was a bit** to get a rig that couldn't move under it's own power over the wooden blocks (designed to get the wider tires over the fenders), so a deckover would have been nice in THAT situation.

The added height and center of gravity may be concerns of a deckover. Some of the guys use them, but have to find alternate routes because of low overpasses. If I were to buy a trailer now for towing vehicles, I would probably get a heavy spec'd car/vehicle hauler with removable fenders (or have them made removable), for ease of loading/unloading especially if the rig is not operable under it's own power (which does happen).

If you plan to move something bigger (Bobcat, backhoe, etc) then a deckover might be the way to go......assuming the tow vehicle can handle the combined weight.

My .02

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

or get one that is wide enuff to fit the rig. they are generally rated to carry more weitght anyway

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, if you can afford the 10k trailer, get it. Its nice to have the cushion factor knowing that you are not pushing the limits of a 7k trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true! On several occaisions I have borrowed a friends (prof. built) 7k trailer to pull my truck. My truck weighs in around 6500lbs, the trailer hauls is alright but I don't think I would want to use it on long trips. You can really tell the trailer is working hard, it squats, creaks and moans all the time.

I intend to buy a trailer in the next year and I will definitely buy more trailer than I need because I don't want to spend that much money and later regret it. I have to agree that the deck over trailers are nice but I think a standard car hauler type might be more user friendly. Versatility and the ability to use it to carry other vehicles (potentially cars) besides a big 4x4 is what a trailer is all about.

Conveniently this subject came up on Pirate recently.

Best Trailer Ideas

Deck Material Preferences

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Lots of weight!
    Get yourself educated on trailering. Best place to do that would be on some of the travel trailer forums. Having the right set up means the difference between a white knuckle terror ride and easy cross country ride. For the amount your dealing with I would recomend a Reese Dual cam set up with a 12,000lb hitch head with 1200 lb bars. Your going to need to have about 1k of tounge weight.

Definaly get a trailer with 4 brakes. Most brake set ups are rated 5-7k per axle. Your over it. Don't let some dork sell you a trailer without enough brakes. It wear the brakes out faster and less stopping power. Properly set up you should not notice ANY decrease in braking distance over the truck alone. Infact properly set up you may be able to stop faster with better control as long as you stay in a straight line.

Best brake controler on the market is the Jordan...PERIOD! http://www.jordanbrake.com/ The reason is it has a sensor as to how much brake peddle your using and vaires the brakes on that. It's a proactive controler verses a reactive controler. The next best is the Prodogy but it is a reactive. The difference is the reactive use a enersia or decelorometer control. As you apply the brakes it senses the deceleration and it applies the brakes to the trailer. That or they sense the brake lights come on and ramp up the amount of brakes they are applying. In a panic situation that dealy may be enough for the trailer to jack knife the pull vehicle.
    You want the trailer to start braking first becuase it will keep the tow vehicle in line. There is very few people who pull large travel trailers that will argue this fact about braking and controler. Don't skimp on this. A$80 controler is an accident waiting to happen.

The previous best controler was the Kelsey Hayes Hydrolic. It tied into the tow vehicles Hydrolic but you can't use those with antilock. It is the best set up aging because it is proactive in applying the trailer brakes. The Jordan is the only other control that I am aware of that does this because it has the peddle travel sensor. It acts like the Kelsey as a result but maybe better because it has diagnostict capabilities and can sense the amperage draw on the brakes.

For what your planning to pull and the elevations your going to deal with I hope to god you got a something with some balls. 454 or even better yet a Duramax. You going to be pulling a easy 8-9k with gear. It's WAY to much for a half ton truck. You want a 4.10 gear in the pull vehicle and keep the tire size close to original. You need the gear advantage.

As for the trailer. Personnaly I would go with a conventional car tailer with removable fenders. It sits lower so better CG. Most are lighter as well so less stress on the pull vehicle. As lanky as your truck is it's going to sway and you cant compress the suspension when you tie down. You have to strap it by the axles unless your going to have somebody custom make a set of tire straps.

10. CK5

Going to get a 96-99 3/4 ton Suburban with 7.4 Vortec (454).

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Going to get a 96-99 3/4 ton Suburban with 7.4 Vortec (454).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Choice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It should not have any problems pulling anything you put behind it.

John

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

try to get a dovetail Steve. The best place I have found to get a trailer is Cochran Farm Supply in Goodland. He is WAY less expensive than the ones here in Colorado His number is 785-899-0096 and his cell is 785-821-2354. These numbers are published in the paper and on the net so putting them here is not an issue with him. His brand new car haulers start at $1495.00. Trust me, it is worth the small drive out there.

I just bought a 36 foot deckover dovetail three axle gooseneck from him for $4250.00. Everywhere I looked around the Springs and Denver for the same used trailer was 7 and 8 grand.

Also, try to get a trailer that the fenders are bolted on, not welded on if you are not going to go with a deckover. If you do that you can make them removable and drive over the tires rather than tear up the fenders.

John

here is mine. [​IMG]

13. CK5

Cool, New PJ 18' Car Hauler, Removable Fenders $1,550.00

14. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    here is mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Damn

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Geez, you already called him, cool....

John

16. CK5

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

We have a 99 3/4 ton, we are dying to sell it too, to much money in gas. It is red with silver and grey interior with leather, and has the 454 at 69,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

But I live in AZ so don't know if you are that interested, it is in perfect5 shape though and was just detailed on friday. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. fauxshox

fauxshox Registered Member

As a person who has both a deck over and a car hauler style and who has built many many trailers I would definately say car hauler with fenders, much lower center of gravity.

Richard

19. CK5

Ahh, I would be interested if it wasn't red. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ahh, I would be interested if it wasn't red. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok, now I'm curious.....what color are you looking for?