Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Gurus

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by K5Glazier, Feb 28, 2005.

1. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Found a trailer with these specs:
    Total lenght 20'
    Tongue 6'
    Dual axles, both w/ electric brakes
    3500 lb.each axle
    5 new tires "F load range"
    76" between the fenders.
    Looks to be in new condition. Any thoughts on this. Any way to calc. out the total weight limit for this trailer taking the tongue lenght in account.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. FWP

FWP CRS

If I was to guess, I would say it's 7K GVW, based on axles/tires. Load capacity depends on the tare of the trailer itself.

3. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Not sure what your plans are, but be careful on the width between fenders. The WMS to WMS width of the chevy front axle is 69.5". The front hubs on a D60 with lockouts will be right around 77 inches wide , with a 10 bolt a little narrower. If you have wider tires ( even a 12.5" width with 4" backspacing) the width on either axle will be around 83". You might be able to fit a stock chevy truck on a 76" trailer, but not one with wider tires.

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

wouldnt the electric brakes and the size of the ball increase the lbs it could carry? :dunno:

5. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Plans for the trailer are to trailer my blazer, which will only have a dana44 front for now. I don't think I'll ever swap out to D60 unless you throw one on my lap. I run 35's and will be swapping tires to tow or reinforce the fenders to drive over them. The tongue uses a 2-5/16" ball. Based on the inside dim. of 76", does anyone know wheel & tire size I need to get? Thanks for all the info you guys provided. Anyone else have any more ideas or info? I've got a feeling I will be buying this trailer.
    Joe

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a 20 ft deck trailer with flip up ramps and with a lb truck it sucks . the ramps hit the bumper. i should have gotten a longer trailer. do lots of mesuring first. and recheck to see if it will fit.

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I just towed a CUCV this weekend on a 77" wide trailer. It had 235/85 R 16 tires on the stock steel CUCV wheels. It just fit with maybe 1.5 inches to spare. Hope it helps.

8. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Yeah that helps alot. Thanks

Joe

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Nope.
    But they need to at least match the capacity of the axles or they will downrate the GVW.

I've never considered the weight on the tongue in the GVW. Technically it probably figures in, but personally I consider it a Safety Margin.