Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer lighting and the 'magic boxes'...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Apr 11, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

that combine separate brake and turn signals, like the new-fangled vehicles have, into the single brake/blinker on the trailers, like the old vehicles had.

Is it just me, or is the highly complicated electronic box they sell for $15-20 a couple of fricken diodes? Seems like a pair of 1N4005's or whatever would be a LOT cheaper.

-- A

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm...could be!..

I never diseccted one of those "magic boxes"..but it would not suprise me to find out there was only a few diodes inside one!...they charged my friend 70 bucks for one of those boxes recently,when he put a hitch on a Jeep Cherroke!!..I told him I hope they used vaseline!..and I had one sitting in my spare parts box too..I sure could have used that 70 bucks!..:( ..I'd have sold it for 50 and been very happy--seeing I bought it for 20 about 10 years ago,and used it twice!....:crazy:

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, my $2 pack of four diodes from Radio Shack is now soldered up and waiting to be installed when this rain clears. Seventy bucks is hilarious!

-- A