Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer lights wacked out

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by JIM88K5, Mar 21, 2004.

1. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

My trailer lights used to work fine. Now I got kooky stuff goin on. With headlamps off RH or LH t/signals alternate flashing, like cop car headlights. With headlamps on the trailer lights are on also but when you step on the brakes the tail lamps go off but t/signals work correctly /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif... All bulbs good. Westbar trailer lamp kit a bout 4 1/2 years old. 4 wire type... No separate ground wire, I ass you me that it grounds through the lamp housing to the trailer /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif... Blazer lights all good and work properly. I have a " T " weather pack connector that connects in line to the rr lamp wire harness. No scotch lock hack job. What am I lookin for ? A wire that rubbed through ? I checked all the connections, bulbs, ect... wiggled and jiggled the wires and twisted the bulbs and drank 4 or 5 beers while doing so /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. I noticed the stop lamp deal at o dark thirty This morning on my way to the Columbia to fish for salmon. Skunked on that deal too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Signed, WTF

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Every wonky light issue I've seen on a trailer could be traced back to a faulty ground or a pinched wire. One time, however, it was caused by a brake controller that was going bad internally(or so I was told).

What kind of wiring connector do you have? Is it a 7-pin system or a 4-pin system?

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

4 Wire. Green-Brown, Yellow-Black..

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'd bet on a ground problem too. I've got to where I go through and clean them up once in a while so I don't have a problem when I least expect it. I've noticed that the ground pin on the 4 prong trailer connector breaks off pretty easy and could lead to the problems you are having. Good luck....

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like smitty mentioned, make sure that you're getting a good contact at your ground pin on your connector(you may as well check all four while you're there. Sometimes the pins inside the female end of your connector can get squished and prevent a good contact from occuring. Take a flathead screwdriver and spread the pins a little bit. If this doesn't make any sense then you may have a different setup than I've used in the past.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Every wonky light issue I've seen on a trailer could be traced back to a faulty ground or a pinched wire. One time, however, it was caused by a brake controller that was going bad internally(or so I was told).

What kind of wiring connector do you have? Is it a 7-pin system or a 4-pin system?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep definitely ground, the brake is what gives it away.
    Check all the connections for a good ground, I always try and put as many grounds connections as I can and try to even link them with wires to make sure I don't get these problems.

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Yup, ground-or lack of... Fixed. Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif