Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Aug 14, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I am going to wire up trailer lights to my Blazer. I just have a couple of questions. It says that I need to wire my left and right turn, my reverse, and my running lights. It doesn't say I need to wire up my brake lights. How does this work. I did this once before and I could get everything to work but my signals. When I connected the trailer they would just not work at all. The dash singal would flach really fast but nothing would get to my trailer or tailights. I am sure I did some thing wrong. Since then the sagebrush removed the plug for me so I am going to start over from scratch. If you have any suggestions or Ideas that would be wonderful. I am wireing a 7 round plug with flat connectors. Like the newer trucks come with. I am not going to wire in brakes yet because the trailer I am using right now doesn't have them.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

your turn signals operate your brake lights. Same wire, it's the blinker that differentiates if it blinks or not. If your left turn wire comes loose, then your brake light on that side doesn't work either.

brown=running lights
    yellow=left turn/brake
    green=right turn/brake
    white=ground

make sure the wires are seated properly in the plug if it's not a molded unit. If you had to tighten screws down on the plug, make sure the wires are all the way in and the screws are tight. And use the proper wires on your blazer, you can find them easily with a test light or hook up the ones you know and then try the others with the trailer hooked up and turn signal going.

The rapid flash you're getting is from a weak flasher. It should be located in your fusebox in the cab. I've never changed the one on my blazer, but in my other trucks, that's where it was. They make a heavy duty flasher that will restore the proper blink. It's longer and is usually under ten bucks.

HTH

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by laketex on 08/14/01 11:49 AM.</FONT></P>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you aren't wiring for the 7 prong connector now, and the trailer isn't set up that way, save yourself some time and effort, and go buy the style that plugs into your trucks existing harness. Keeps your wiring clean and uncut, and that way, if the trailer has problems, you know its in the trailer, not the wiring on the truck.

As simple as it is, trailer wiring is a real pain.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Near the back of the truck, on the drivers side, there is a harness that has one side going to each side for the lights. You can buy another harness that plugs in between these two and it goes to the trailer lights. Also, there was an unused factory harness near the tailgate on mine, still wrapped up from the factory, even though someone had spliced into the wires on mine to wire lights.....

90K5

See my truck at <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</a>

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I second what Dorian and 90K5 said. The kit is only like $15 at Pep Girls and it's fool proof, watertight and can be removed without leaving any bare wires. Takes about 10 minutes to install and you can tap in the 7-pin with it (an extra $10). Just went the 7-pin to match to 01 Z71, boat, 16' flat, 2 horse trailer (only have one horse and wish it would disappear).

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Wheels on 08/14/01 12:17 PM.</FONT></P>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah the kit would work ok for ya. splicing it in is no biggie either, but that's just me, I build 12V wiring harnesses for a living. If you make it a 7 way connection, you can buy a molded adapter that goes from 7 on truck to 4 on trailer, 7 on truck to 5 on trailer, and 7 to 6. I've got all 3 in my truck and I can hook up to any properly wired trailer and pull it. also got a 1-7/8", a 2", and a 2-5/16" ball. Love being prepared, but that's just me.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

7. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I would buy the harness and just go with a flat four, but the trailer we are going to use this winter will need the 7 with reverse lights and brakes. It is a 24' enclosed. I think it may be a little big for my Blazer so I am for sure going to get good brakes and studs for the trailer. We are planning on the blazer because 4 or 5 people are alot more comfortable in it that than in a extended cab truck. I am just not going to run the brakes YET. I will definetly check on the heavy duty flasher. I already have the splices in the wires so I will probably just use them with new connectors. Thanks for all the replies.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles