Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Mods

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Mudzer, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I thought I would share some of the mods I'll be doing to my 22' H&H Steel Decked trailer I bought a while back.

I bought this thing fully loaded, but decided to add a few extra mods. Mine at the moment has removable fenders, hidden heavy ramps, 5200# axles with brakes on both, breakaway brakes and so on.

My new mods are putting 6,000# D-rings in the flooring for using my M&R straps and one of my coolest mods will be installing flush mounted lights into the decking up the middle, so when I load and unload in the dark, I can see. Plus, it gives a nifty place to work on the truck in the dark. These will have metal mesh guards that protect the lens.

Let's hear about your inexpensive mods you plan to do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's a pic of my junk on my trailer.

[​IMG]

2. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Delta (or similar make) diamond plate toolbox on the trailer tongue for strap, chain, binder storage, d rings, eye hooks and all the other good stuff for strappin down the rigs.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Lol wellm not exactly cheap, but I plan on extending the deck on my 15' tandem axle caur hauler 6 more feet so I can haul any vehicle. Then I'm going to replace the original mobile home axles with some brand new 5 or 6,000 er's. Then add addequit tie downs along the outside of the frame. Then put an old truck toolbox I have on the front of it. After all that, if there's anything left, a little Warn works winch. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    After all that, if there's anything left, a little Warn works winch. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I want more than anything. If the tow rig breaks down and my trail rig becomes the tow rig, I think a good way to get the tow rig up onto the trailer would be very helpful!

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I saw this the other day and thought it was pretty cool.

On the outside edge of the trailer, weld a piece of square tubing to the trailer on the back. Drop the appropriate size tbing through it with holes drilled in it at various locations for height adjustment. When you load/unload you trailer you just drop the legs down to the ground and pin them. This is to keep the shifting load from transfering the weight to the front of the trailer and lifting the back of the tow vehicle up. Presto, built in jack stands! Does that make sense?

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When you load/unload you trailer you just drop the legs down to the ground and pin them. This is to keep the shifting load from transfering the weight to the front of the trailer and lifting the back of the tow vehicle up. Presto, built in jack stands!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read (mags and 'Net) that having support of some kind while loading/unloading the trailer will help prolong the life of the frame and springs...

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

This is very true, it decreases the amount of weight placed on the rear axle and spring of the trailer.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is very true, it decreases the amount of weight placed on the rear axle and spring of the trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

As well as flex on the frame itself.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of the lights in the decking. Would help you see when tying the rig down. If you add a toolbox, you might want to also add a light or two inside the lid(s).

I have a truck camper on the front of my trailer, and the next thing I want to do is add a couple of 8 ft. truck side boxes under the sides of the camper. I'll keep the items I always take along in there so I don't have to load and unload them each trip.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

After this weekend a guy gave me an awesome idea.

Build a wood ramp like this behind my fenders:

---
    -------
    ----------

Build it from 4x4 wood and bolt it to the deck with carriage bolts. That way I can drive on my fenders and have less problems with crushing them.

I'm going to stiffen them up some with some steel too, but that bolt on wood ramp thing seems like a great idea.

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

---
    -------
    ----------

Build it from 4x4 wood and bolt it to the deck with carriage bolts. That way I can drive on my fenders and have less problems with crushing them.

I'm going to stiffen them up some with some steel too, but that bolt on wood ramp thing seems like a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could make your fenders removable somehow!

Mine are and it works slick.

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

---
    -------
    ----------

[/ QUOTE ]

we do that with 2x6's down here in texas, make them a pyramid shape to run alongside the fenders, then you drive up and over the wood and don't crush your fenders; we use wood decking and then use wood screws to screw them to the deck so they are easily removeable to use the trailer for "normal" vehicles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

---
    -------
    ----------

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that is an old one, lot's of people do that, but I was thinking instead of wood, I am makinf a tool box in the same shape, I will have my straps and chains in it, and it will have some quick disconnect so i can move it to put a regular car.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Better than removable fenders since I use the dead space for storage.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

---
    -------
    ----------

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I did and it works great. It's quicker to load and unload the vehicle if you don't have to remove fenders each time, and the biggest thing is that on my trailer the perfect weight distribution is pulling the rear tires of the Blazer right up against the fender. If the fenders were removeable I would have to pull the Blazer on the trailer, reinstall the fenders, and then pull the Blazer further up.

I plan to build a storage bin between the fenders to haul firewood and other misc. items.