Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trailer pulling questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Sep 3, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

looking at getting a truck and i am wanting to be able to pull a trailer, i would like to be able to get a goose neck trailer, would a 400 sbc with a 3sp + granny, be able to handle the trailer and say another truck on it? just curious before i buy it. thanks, chris

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

when your talking about a 6000 lb truck pulling another 6000 lb truck + 2300 lb trailer,.....

it can be done via gooseneck, but you'd definately be better off with a 5th wheel.

The tow vehicle should be a : 1 ton model, long wheel base, maybe even a dually. nothing wrong with a 400 SBC, but unless it was built for low end torque, you'll need to rev it pretty high.

Just my two cents....

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just make sure it's at least a 3/4 ton and has 4.10 or better gears and you'll be good to go.

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

A small block truck will tow, but unless you build it you won't be going anywhere fast. If you plan on buying a truck for a tow rig, get a Big Block or turbo diesel with a manual tranny. I too would consider 4.10 gears a must. If towing is going to be the main reason to buy the truck, I'd look for a dually, and maybe even a 2WD model.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 350 TBI will pull my 32 foot 5er 75+ MPH. Just don't hit a hill!

6. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    when your talking about a 6000 lb truck pulling another 6000 lb truck + 2300 lb trailer,.....

it can be done via gooseneck, but you'd definately be better off with a 5th wheel.

Just my two cents....

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhh ok educate me here. I thought a goose neck was a set up with a ball attachment in the center of the bed over the axle at just above bed floor hight.

5th wheel has a base that sits in the bed simular to what would be on a Semi that a pin on the trailer engage. The hitch hight would be near bed rail hight. The weight is basicly on the vehicle at the same point as the goose neck (over the rear axle).

Why is 5th wheel better then goose neck? Is the hitch stronger?

8. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

load dispersion. gn has an impact point of about 1.5 to 2 square inches on the top of the ball. the plate on a wheel is about a square foot for a 'villa de snowbird'. rigs use about an 8 square foot wheel. another big advantage to a wheel hitch is lateral stability. the tow rig and trailer are more firmly mated.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Typically a 5er hitch or gooseneck are installed slightly forward of the rear axle.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I've towed all sorts of stuff behind my truck (K2500 w/ TBI 350/ NV4500/ 3.73's) including a Heep on a 20' bumper pull car hauler, and it just didn't have enough power. If I was going to tow regularly, I'd want quite a bit more power. The truck handled the load fine, but it was more than a little sluggish. And I was on level ground...