Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trailer question?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, May 4, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

just bought a used single axle trailer, i have a few things i would like to do it but want some input on them. first thing, would it be alright to put the axle under the leaf springs instead of on top? if i did this it will help the trailer sit level with my 6in drop ball, i am planning on redoing the trailer it has 13in tires on it now with 4lug rims, would i be better off just upgrading the axle and getting bigger tires to level it out? where would be a good cheap place for axles also? thanks chris

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When i built my little trailer, I put the axle under the leaf springs just like on our rigs. There is nothing wrong with doing that. Look at most of the travel trailers, they are like that also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As far as the axle goes, it all depends on how much you think your going to be hauling in it. You can just find some 14" or 15" 4 lug rims and diff tires and go from there. But when i built mine I welded some spindles off a toyota truck onto a piece of 3/8" thick tubing, made my own perches and whammo, instant axle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We have a place here that sells trailer axles of all types. is yours a drop axle, straight axle or???

We have a 21 foot trailer with spring under and a drop axle. It sits very low...
    I plan on going spring over with straight axles which will gain about 7" of height.

The axles themselves aren't to expensive, but the brakes and stuff really add up. I have all new brakes already so all I need is the new axles.

I'd run some 14" or larger rims and tires. I have some decent radials on our trailer...but even better would be the trailer specific tires. They are apparently more suited to sitting for long periods of time than car tires.

Rene

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

its a straight axle, do they normally have the axle gvw on the axle? i figured the trailer would look /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif with a set of 33s on it!! lol but thats just me thinking /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif