Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Rental

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am moving to Colorado in May. I am thinking about using my Dad's F250 w/V10 to tow my truck up there on a trailer instead of driving my pig and his truck. Is there anybody that rents trailers that will take the weight of a K5 with mods (35's, winch, bumpers, etc).

Only having to tow the trailer one way would be a major bonus.

Anybody know anything anything about this?

Harley

2. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Well i know what I've done....
    twice...
    actually...
    about 4 times...

I've towed my blazer (pre-truggy) with a roof mounted rack and spare and various amounts of tools etc. on a U-Haul Car Hauler (the one that carries the whole vehicle). I told them it was a s-10 blazer... a lie of course. I've also towed my modified blazer truggy thingy a couple of times and I've also towed a 1970 c-10 pickup that is heavy as a mofo on the same trailer.

There are two types of this trailer. One is wider than the other. ONe is steel and one is alum. ( I think). REnt the right one, ask me how I know. I actually had to take the wrong one back and try to explain that I wanted the other.

U Haul rents one way. I drove with my dad up to Lompoc, CA and then we realized we should rent a trailer to bring back my abuelitos old truck. It worked like a charm. Don't use the tire ratchet straps(ask me why I know).:grin:

I also saw a uhaul truck (the big one) with a blazer inside of it once. I dont think I would do that.:grin:

3. Hossbaby50

My dads shop actually has a box truck that I contimplated trying to fit my K5 in but I don't think I want to try that. To much weight up high and no good way to tie it down.

Harley

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya, uhaul is the only way to go i think. defintaly lie tho, they wont let you take it if they know your putting a K5 on it. i think they are 7-7500 GVW trailers. so whatever vehicle you say thats going on it, its gotta be under 4500 lbs.

i dont know if i'd trust that light of a trailer to drive long distances. not sure what kinda tires/bearing/axles they got under those things.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I towed my blazer on one for over 700 miles. This is just me though. THey do have trailer brakes on them. I know that it is not totally honest but I did what I had to do. I cant afford to buy a flatbed trailer...
    I chose to drive safely and have a contingency plan (i.e. my blazer is fully insured).

6. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

U-haul car haulers can only handle up to a 3,900 lb vehicle, your K5 is WAY over that, I would NOT trust that trailer to handle that truck personally, even if you lied just to get it, I wouldn't feel safe with that load.

Its only a 6k lb GVW trailer and weighs 2100 lbs empty. I would find a company who rents equipment trailers that can handle the weight.

My 85K10 shortbed weighs 4660 EMPTY with only 9 gallons fuel and no spare or anything in the bed. Its got a custom .120 wall rear bumper that is heavy and a warn classic bumper with a 8274-50 winch in it, and 33x12.5" tires. I wouldn't trust the axles under the u-haul trailer to withstand the weight.

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

How would you get the F250 back to AZ?

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I moved forom CA to NC last year, there were 2 companies that had trailers big enough for my Jimmy that would rent to me, however, I had to tow them with their truck, only hitch to it. Penske and Ryder/Budget. Both companies had the aluminum and steel trailers but I towed witht he aluminum from Ryder/Budget. Had to throw on some roller tires so it would kind of fit on the trailer. I ended up putting one side up on the rail of the trailer. (they said it would be fine). So I did that, and towed it 3000 miles with not a lick of problems or complaints from anyone. Well except for the wife who was following me in the car, she didn't like the idea of it sitting cock eyed on there. But hey, coast to coast.

9. Hossbaby50

My dad is going to go with me on the trip and he will drive it back to AZ.

Harley

10. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Build, buy or borrow a tow bar and flat tow it. It is the easiest way to do it.

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have not seen a tow bar that is rated for that kind of weight, there may be one out there..but I aint seen it!:crazy:

12. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Well I have three that aren’t rated for that kind of weight; of course they aren’t rated at all because we built them. Again, it ain’t rocket science.

13. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Call Penske and Budget, but I think they will only rent trailers with their trucks. I would try calling though. Uhuals are pretty decent trailers though. Used them several times towing a 1986 and a 1987 cherokee (smaller version). I used a 99 chevy venture (minivan) to tow from Delaware to Ohio to North Carolina. They have a hydraulic brake system built in (when they work). The tongue actually has a slide built in to it so when you brake it compresses and applies brakes. Carry a piece of 4X4 fence with you to wedge in the tongue. You will understand the first time you tru to back it up on a slight uphill grade. The brakes l;ocked up tight. Anyway Good luck in your travels.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Most trailers with surge brakes have a backup switch. In fact, every trailer I've towed with surge brakes had one.

No need for a fence post, just use the switch. :D

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Box truck works....

I know a guy who moved his 59 Bonneville(6000lbs!) to TN in a 69 C-60 24ft box truck--he drove the car and truck to a K-mart store's loading dock,and bribed the shipping/receiving guy,he simply backed up to the loading dock,and drove the car right in--He just put it all the way to the front till the bumper was against the front of the box,with an old tire in between them,and used rubber wheel chocks under the rear tires,he just put it in "park" and set the E-brake---he checked it a few times on the way down at fuel stops,said it never moved,and if it did,he said he would just let the air out of the rear tires!--

He made it all the way with no trouble,it was kinda slow on the hills,but despite the tonnage the truck handled pretty well considering its age and all..he said the worst part was getting in and out of the car once it was in the box--a very tight squeeze!--too bad the box didnt have a "side" door,it would have made things easier..it was cheaper than paying a car carrier to haul it there,and he was able to haul some of his household stuff at the same time,he stuffed a lot in the car's trunk and backseat,and in the rest of the space in the truck's box...:crazy:

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I rented a 7x16' car hauler for about $110 when I bought my '81. (Before I had my 18footer) Yes it was a pretty tight squeeze.

Call around to places that rent equipment like bobcats and welders... alot of times they have bobcat trailers that they rent and will work for a K5

-mike

17. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

do you have any trucker buddys that haul with flat beds/ mabey thay have some room and could strap it on for you.