Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer shopping, I have a prospect but, a couple ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

It is built with what looks like 6-7" c channel for the 2 main frame rails. With the same size c channel for Cross members. Then a smaller peice of C channel in the middle paralell to the outer frame rails..

Then it has what look to be 2x6 or 7 inch 8 foot planks laid perpindicular to the frame rails...

It is wired for trailer brakes and Lights, but thatll prolly need a little work

It is tandem axle with leaf springs, that look to have some kinda Cantelever system (im trailer illiterate still)

it is like 16feet long (guestimate)

He is asking 900 bucks.. i have to admit it is ugly, But with some Wire wheeing, Paint, and some new wood, it could look presentible

What do you guys think? thx.... I know this should be in the trailer forum but i doubt itll get many hits there....

2. Silver84k5

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

for that price, i would hold out. my buddy got a trailer that was used only twice for 1200

18 foot dual axle, electric brakes, diamond plated open middle deck. was worth the time he waited to find it.

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

16ft flatbed car trailers new go for $1400 and up depending on where you are in the country, so that seems high to me.
    George

5. Silver84k5

Thx for responses.

what if i talk him down? how much is it worth?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Factory built??

I can buy a 18 ft flatbed trailer in my area for about 1500-1600 bucks,a factory built one made in Texas,"Big Red" I think is the brand name--nice trailer,rugged,all channel iron with angle iron side rails,all brand new,with hideaway ramps and trailer rated tires,spoked rims--I cant seem to find a used one for much less with the same specs!--I have looked at some advertised in the want ads,most turn out to be a homemade dead axle trailer with axles from a mobile home if its less than 1000 bucks!--it seems once somebody buys a trailer,they think it holds its value forever if its a factory built one--they wont part with it for any less than they paid for it...Home built ones are no bargain,most are illegal with no brakes,and many have no suspension...and no title,which makes it useless in my state....

I have seen similar new trailers down south (TN,NC) for even a little less money!!--I have a friend who goes there from NH and buys a few at a time--in many cases he makes enough to pay for his trip down and back,since he goes down there to deliver a car for a customer,its foolish to come back empty,so he finds a few people who want trailers and gets them there,and hauls them back to NH,and marks up the price--which is still reasonable compared to the other dealers selling them in his state...

I think a new trailer is the way to go--safer,built right,titled,and not much more than used in many cases...and when you go to sell it,its worth more !!:crazy:

7. Silver84k5

trailers need titles? damn i got a lot to learn lol....

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

In OR a utility trailer under some length doesn't need a plate. Or they didn't use to anyway. Doubt a car hauler qualifies.

Who built this trailer? Sounds home built from the description. If it is, be very wary of it. Unless the builder knew what he was doing it may not have the right geometry needed to tow well.

9. Silver84k5

yea i dont know who built it.. it is Definatley a home brew... Something that kinda wierded me out was, When i was looking at the axles. There was a weld in the middle of both of them.. Almost like it was two tubes but welded together...

Dunno if thats legit or not.. .... i dont think im gonna buy this thing...

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is the lug pattern a wide 5 or six lug? You description sounds like a cut down mobile home trailer.

There is a bunch of laws being passed about using those axles under anything but mobile homes. They were never designed for High speed hwy travel and the brake drums on them are junk.

Pass on it.

I'm about to build my own because I have not run across one for a decent price. I figure I can build exactly what I want for about $800. To buy what I want would be about $1800.

11. Silver84k5

Grim. is your trailer gonna be big enough for a K5?

reason i ask is... I think you sold your k5 right? (saw toyota in your profile)

anyway... Is there anywhere where i can find a Writeup on building a trailer... Something that isnt too complicated. Just simple and strong?

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Try a Google search...

Look on "Google" for "trailer plans" ,a company called CAD plans has trailer blueprints available--but before you try building one,I'd check into some local trailers dealers and see if they have any "leftovers" or one a customer backed out of the deal,and they might cut you some slack on the price--..
    I looked at a more recent ad for those trailers I mentioned in my other post--the ad has a disclaimer now--"due to the price increases of steel,out trailers are going to be priced 250-500 dollars more than last years prices"--and they say "buy now,before it goes even higher"!--so I wouldnt wait too long!

Its rather involved building a trailer that can carry over 5000 lbs--I wouldnt attempt it ,a utility trailer for hauling trash to the dump is one thing,but once you get over 3000 lbs,you need brakes,brake controllers,titles,and its got to built right or it will sway,not track right,etc--its best to buy a factory made one and avoid all the hassles..:crazy:

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm...I dunno how you could get a decent trailer sufficiently heavy duty to haul one of our rigs around for $1800. All the ones mantioned are car haulers, out rigs don't qualify as "cars" obviously. The trailer I have was right around $5k. It has everything pretty much. 18' w/dovetail. Dual 8 lug, 8K lb axles with electric brakes on both. 2 5/16's hitch. There is a big saftey margin with the thing. It's not even close to being overloaded with my truck 5k lb truck and whatever else I want to cram on there. Just hitch it up, load up and go, no worring about anything. With the smaller capacity trailers, that generaly come with two 3500lb axles, your're real close to the things capacity with a full size rig and all the gear, tools, and various other stuff. The brakes on such a trailer would be almost maxed out and working waaay to hard to stop the load. I know people get along just fine with the smaller trailers like that, and for alot of people a $5k trailer is waaaaay out of reach....but piece of mind and saftey is priceless.
    [​IMG]

14. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

I built a 20 ft. flatbed out of a mobile home frame. It had a 16 ft. deck, stake pockets, full lights and reflectors, title, liscense plates, new decking, trailer brakes, etc. I sacrificed it for $1600 because I needed the cash. There are deals out there. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

As for the title info. Your local DMV will have all the info you need. I had to get mine titled, and liscensed. It had to have full lighting, including a liscense plate light. It had to have reflectors placed in specific locations. I can't remember what the cut off is for all these regulations. I think it is 16 ft. It would pay off to make a quick stop:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: at the DMV to pick up the info. Those state troopers aren't too flexible on these things.

I hope this can do some good.