Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer talk time!!?? Make or Buy??

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Burt4x4, May 21, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK, the last camping trip I went on with my two kids and wife the K5 was maxed out for room!! My two kids have to sit with half of my camping gear/forums/images/icons/frown.gif!!
    I originally wanted to find a military trailer like a M-416, well thoes suckers are MIA.....
    So, Should I just find a sm. PickUp bed converted to a trailer for a couple hundred bucks??
    Or, I see on places like Ebay that sell plans for making your own trailer?
    I'm leaning tward the Pickup bed deal.
    Any ideas on what bed works best?
    I don't want a full size truckbed trailer. Thinking more like an old stepside or like the old Ferd Currier sm. pickUps??????
    Dan, you had one at one time didin't you??
    Any thoughts???

2. LiftedAssDodge

LiftedAssDodge 1/2 ton status

buy a semi trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

I have a 80ish toyota s/b with the rear half of the frame. if you want it its yours. all you will need is to get a axles and wheels? let me know

jeff

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sweet!! hmmmm, I'll check with ya on the details Thurs>..
    Hey man you gots lots of cool junk!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

Well thats what us fourwheelers are all about helping each other out. i think it even still has the springs on it? we can check that out. i like helping people out and building 4wds.

jeff

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ya I heard that burt ...
    You got any th400's laying around...Ha Ha I would make it yourself burt very easy to do...
    It would give ya a chance to build it the way way you want it...mike

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yep still have it..For you $250.00..I paid $300.00 for it a couple of years ago.It is just sitting here.I'll take some pics of it in a couple of days...Dan

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You have a hitch... try something called a hitch hauler... it's a shelf that fits into the hitch. I paid like $50 for mine on sale... it can hold up too 500lbs. I just stuff things in big rubbermade containers and bungee cord them down... it's probaby not gonna solve everything but it helps so much space wise I have come to find. Plus a nice bonus is you can buy a bike adapter and stick up to 3 bikes back there.... thought I'd mention it as a cheap small fix possibly... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. LiftedAssDodge

LiftedAssDodge 1/2 ton status

hey i have an 84 yota that needs a motor, you can take the whole damn thing if you want, longbed, full axles and wheels and such, just gotta pick it up

10. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I might have a 2wd rear axle you could have. I have to check with shawn to see if it is still there. We had used the 2wd to swap on a 4wd, i think the axle is in his friends backyard still.

11. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Build without a doubt. That way you can incorporate lots of goodies into the trailer (hiding spares in the frame and such). You can pick up a rear axle out of a FWD car for next to nothing at Pick N' Pull. Then you get junkyard leaf packs, set it up with a SOA suspension and you run the same wheels and tires that you have on your rig so you can ditch the spare on your truck. Sounds like a good weekend or two of work.

The problem with the hitch hauler like ChevyCaGal is talking about is the over hang that equals hampered departure angle.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have never seen a rear axel out of a FWD that was a 6 or an 8 lugg like everyone here uses.

13. Priest

Priest Registered Member

Nothing a little drilling can't fix. Just because it doesn't start of 6 lug doesn't mean it can't end up that way...:)

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

The hitch thing does mess up departure big time but if you are not gonna wheel with it on anyhow and it's fine for the drive there.... it's just a cheapo fix for some space I found good for myself....../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Make a frame and put a short bed pu box that matches your gen on Blazer. Use the same axle as your ride under it so you'll always have spare parts with you. You could hook up the E brake on the axle to handle like they used on some of the topkicks and mount it on the tongue. Then when you part the trailer you can set the brakes and it won't roll on you.

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WOW...Lots of groovy ideas!!!!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    I like the spareparts idea along with the ebrake handle one!
    Dan I will PM you
    Would bee sweet to have short box from same erra too!!
    Cheeeewiizzzz, now I gota think.....OUCH!! OK nuff of that thinkin stuff!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif hehehe
    hmmmmmmm

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah a freind of mine has a tool trailer made from a 6' ultility box and for the axle he has a Eaton like he's running under his C40. If he loses the rear end in the truck on the road he's got a spare drop out on the trailer axle. He keeps his tools in the side boxes and even has a gas compressor and gas powered welder in the trailer. The only pain about his setup would be if someone took the trailer. Also if you wanted to be trick get a surge brake coupler like they use on boat trailers and you'd have service brakes on the trailer too.

18. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status