Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer tie down suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Sep 23, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First off, yes I’ve searched and researched, but looking for more…

Ok, I'm tired of fooling with chains. Thinking of getting a set of ratchet straps to replace them. Somebody posted this link a while back.

http://www.apexperformance.net/securestore/c76205p9592458.2.html

Looks pretty decent. Anyone have other/better/cheaper suggestions? Doubt it will get much cheaper than that kit but, never know. I’ll be mounting/welding D rings into the appropriate places when I settle on/purchase the straps (or whatever).

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I use three 4000 lb rachet straps in the rear then use the winch in the front to pull down on the suspension a little works good the straps were 10$ each at the parts store. I have had Q's asked about strenght but if I rely on the winch to hold me or pull me on a vertical rock face why would I worry about it not holding the truck on the trailer.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I would have two big ratchet straps and about 4 chains. Thought about trailering mine before....here is how "I" would do it. Throw a strap across the hood and try to center it over the axle or a little further back towards the windsheild......throw the other about halfway over the top. Don't strap either down yet. Take a chain and throw it around the front axle. One on each side of the axle and start at the front. Lock the chains tight with a chain wrench. You know those half pull jobs that work like a single use come-along....anyway that will get the front tight...put the truck in neutral and do the same with two chains in the rear. Put the truck in park and lock the brakes. That will stop front to rear motion, now to keep it from bouncing tighten down those ratchet straps....now your truck should be secure and only bounce if the trailer does.... which it shouldn't! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Over the hood? All you really need to do is hold the axles down. I use a chain on each axle with at least 25 pounds of air in the tires. I like the ratchet strap idea too. I race with some guys that just use the straps, one on each corner to the axle, and its worked well for years.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Anything that will make the suspension of the truck sit in a fixed position should work. That way you are towing weight rather than weight with a spring and some more weight on the end....you might be suprised at the change in towing characteristics. I forgot to mention air down some as well. Good Point!

6. BadDog

Hmmm, actually, I should have been more specific.

I don't want to start another discussion on *how* to tie down a rig. That's been done and the lines are clearly drawn. I'm on the "just tie down the axles and let the suspension work" side.

My only interest right now is to find an easier way to do that. Chains take forever to hookup, get tight, and then take down. I do like the strength and durability of chains but, it just takes too long.

The setup that I posted a link to looks pretty good. Does anyone know of a better set of axle straps (or similar)? Got a link? Some posts referred to different styles with the “loop built in” and such. I just want to see more of what’s out there before I buy something…

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We've got those kind of straps you posted the link to.
    They work good. been running em for a couple years.
    For the hook end where it is supposed to attach to the trailor... we just cut some slots in the metal part of the trailor at the appropriate places for the tie downs. works great!

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Oops. I might have come across wrong on the air down part. Since I usually run 15 pounds or so, I have found that when on the trailer, the low pressure can let the vehicle bounce around some and I have actually lost chains! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    So I try to put some air in them.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Last week I borrowed a friends trailer setup to pick up a 1-ton Chevy truck. He had a set up that basically looked the same as in the link. His trailer also has a d-ring at each corner of the trailer, and with the ratchet straps it was a piece of cake to get everything strapped down....maybe 5 minutes.

10. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

if you look at the rating of chain compared to those straps.
    you would be very surprised at the size and cost of chain, to meet a 10k strength.
    for the price and strength, plus time saved. go with those straps.
    I bought a set years ago and I'm a completely satisfied customer.
    sent you a PM, drawing of how I drilled slots through the angle iron.
    with a 1/2' drill, drill slots big enough to pass the hook through and hook on.

<font color="orange">dogman </font color>
    /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you are a tie it at the axle guy then Larry who I wheel with hear has a set up that would work for you. He 3/8 round bar and made four half loops. They are welded to the front and rear axle tubes his D-rings are positioned on the trailer where all he needs is four screw type binders. It takes him about 5 minutes from pulling on the trailer to going down the road. No chains used at all. He has a 7000lb LWB beast on 42's that he hauls on the back of a KW so if it will ride there it will ride on your trailer just fine.

12. BadDog

Hmmm, now there is an idea I like...