Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trailer tires bias or radial??

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by moneypit, Jan 31, 2004.

1. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

In a 16" wheel and why. Pros cons? I am picking my trailer up today. It has dual 6k axles, 18' w/2' dove,w/driveover fenders. Pretty sweet hauler! Anyways just curios wich is better and why? TIA-Moneypit

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Bias ply "slide" easier when turning a dual axle trailer.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

It's all about the sway. Bias tires tend to have a firmer side wall as opposed to radials. With the firmer sidewall trailer sway is less likely to become an issue.

John

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In a 16" wheel and why. Pros cons? I am picking my trailer up today. It has dual 6k axles, 18' w/2' dove,w/driveover fenders. Pretty sweet hauler! Anyways just curios wich is better and why? TIA-Moneypit

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the trailer tires are a different beast, I think it is Bias ply but specifically designed for trailers to stay round and roll smooth for extended periods.
    Ask fo r trailer tires specifically and if they don't see the difference then they don't know tires.
    I see so many radials on trailers and it makes me feel sorry for the owner, I borrowed one from a buddy and it had radials and I can say scared the [darn] out of me and I don't scare that easy.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Got it. Came with 7.50x16 bias 2740? lb rating. I will try to post some pics when i get some. Or you can see it at www.jayhawktrailers.com under customers rigs. Check out Erics rockcrawler while your there. It is definitely a creation..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Open ended question.

It depends on what your towing. Yeah a Car trailer I would go bias but for a camper I'd look at the radials first. That's BS about not being lumpy on a Bias after sitting. Bias is Bias and they will flat spot if they sit. A camper with all your gear and dishes you don't want them bouncing ever and in some cases it's bad for the coach. Airstream trailers in particular are monocok designe and boucing tires can be very bad on them.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just make sure you get it with posi axles and a Dana tongue.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Open ended question.

It depends on what your towing. Yeah a Car trailer I would go bias but for a camper I'd look at the radials first. That's BS about not being lumpy on a Bias after sitting. Bias is Bias and they will flat spot if they sit. A camper with all your gear and dishes you don't want them bouncing ever and in some cases it's bad for the coach. Airstream trailers in particular are monocok designe and boucing tires can be very bad on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here, but i think everybody assumed we're talking car trailer.
    It's good though that you did specify and show the differences.
    By the way, is everything OK?
    You've used a lot of BS description in the last few posts.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif