Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer ? ...what determines axle weight rating??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Mar 22, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

so,,,if you dont know for sure the weight capacity of your trailer....how do you find out??? Axle tube size? Bearing size? tire size? etc.??

i have a mobile home trailer chassis and dual axles, but i was looking at them today and they look kinda small. both axles have electric brakes but the beam that goes across just seems kinda small. the rims are 5 on 5 1/2 andhave 16" tires, not the usual mobile home rims and 14.5" tires.

any trailer genius's around here???

thanks rob

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Mobile home axles are not a good choice for building a trailer, in fact, in Colorado it is illegal to use them. You can get a set of trailer axels already set up for cheap, around 500 bucks for a pair of 6k axles, including one that has an electric brake set up. (front axle). The new torsion axles are the way to go. No leaf spring required, ride like air ride, no hangers or shakles, weld or bolt right to the trailer frame, and custom built to your specs in 2 weeks and delivered to your door for around 500 smackers. Each axle has a 6k rating with 6 lug wheels. If you put electric brakes on they go on either the front axle or both axles. I can not remember what the rating is for the cut off between one or two axles with brakes. Another show stopper is the tongue rating. A bulldog hitch is the way to go for a bumper mount. I have a gooseneck hitch set up on mine, it is far superior to a bumper hitch for weight rating, ride, and safety.

John

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah mobile home axles are a poor choice to build a good trailer with. They are pretty much made for a one way trip.
    Parts are of poor cheap quality. The springs and brakes are junk.
    If you are building a trailer for occoasinal use( like to the dump /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) you can probabally get away with them as long as you dont load them too much.
    But if you want a dependable trailer. Its best buy axles built and rated for your needs.