Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Wiring on new Suburbans?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by kpanza, Sep 12, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has a newer Suburban with the trailer package? My brother just bought a 2002 Suburban Z71, it has all the goodies...we will be towing with it. My question is, does the Burb come with a hookup under the dash that is prewired for use with a brake controller (for electric trailer brakes)? I just called the dealer and they didn't know much, but said "Yeah, it should"...I don't have the Burb in front of me, or else I'd look...

I am using chyhs's (Richard) car trailer to tow my K5 up to the Rubicon next weekend, and would really like to use the trailer brakes...what is the easiest way to accomplish this? Anyone recommend a certain controller, or just the cheapest one?

Thanks,

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

To be honest, I know nothing about the newer GM's. But I would assume (stupid of me but what the heck) if it has a trailer package on it, then it would have a hook-up somewhere. Might be a PITA, but trace the wires from the plug back to the front and see where they end up. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well I know on my 89 it has the full trailer package and it was wired all the way out back. I believe you can tap the brakelight (center top) to use as the activator, the down side is you don't have adjustability. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. JasonH

JasonH Registered Member

Well, I'm late on this thread so I don't know if you still need this info or not.
    I have an 01 1500 and it does have a harness for a brake controller. Look in the glove compartment or in the little storage cubby in the rear, by the tool kit. There should be a wiring harness. Wire you controller into it, and the harness plugs in under the dash. Piece o' cake.