Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer wiring on newer GMs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Sep 12, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has a newer GM truck with the trailer package? My brother just bought a 2002 Suburban Z71, it
    has all the goodies...we will be towing with it. My question is, does the Burb come with a hookup under the dash that is prewired
    for use with a brake controller (for electric trailer brakes)? I just called the dealer and they didn't know much, but said "Yeah, it
    should"...I don't have the Burb in front of me, or else I'd look...

I am using chvhs's (Richard) car trailer to tow my K5 up to the Rubicon next weekend, and would really like to use the trailer
    brakes...what is the easiest way to accomplish this? Anyone recommend a certain controller, or just the cheapest one?

Thanks,

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I think they come with a harness (in the glove box) that you hook to your controller and it plugs into the wiring under the dash. the wires should all be run to the back.

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Oh, that would be sweet! I'll have to go over to his house and check it out...

Thanks for the info!

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If it has the trailer package with the hitch and 7 way plug, the harness should be in the console or glove box. It has a picture on the harness where is goes. Also it has what wire does what on it too.

If you need a different plug on the trailer, parts places sell the 7way to 6way adapters. The trailer brakes may not work with the adapter. If so you need to take apart the adapter plug and switch the two wires. Theres only 2 you switch, so its not hard.... Ask me how I know about the wires needing to bw switched /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Its very very simple, just take your time.

John

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The two wires you are referring to, would these cause the trailer brakes to be energized all the time? If so, I have experienced this with my new truck. I had borrowed a friends car trailer and it uses the 6 pin connector. So I go buy an adapter and when I plugged it in the trailer brakes were locked down. I had to pull the trailer brake fuse in my truck just to go down the road! Please fill me in!

Mike