Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trailer wiring problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by downtime2nite, Aug 15, 2002.

1. downtime2nite

downtime2nite Registered Member

anybody have any idea why my trailer lights work ok until I turn on my headlight or running lights? then I blow a fuse and lose all the lights, any help appreciated

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You most likely have a short in the wiring. When do they blow? Using running lamps or brakelights? Check your wiring to see if a wire has rubbed through the insulation and is making contact with something.

Also check all ground connections to make sure they are clean.

John

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Grounds are ALWAYS a huge issue with trailers.

If the wiring harness is grounded through the trailer plug, try removing that and seeing if the problem disappears. (ground the trailer wiring harness to the frame of the trailer in other words)

As simple as trailer wiring is, you'd think it would be foolproof. In actuality, I'd be willing to bet more people have problems with 4 to 7 wire trailer harnesses than people have problems with the entire stock truck wiring harness.

4. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I had the same prob on my '87....didnt blow fuses but nothing would light up when brake or tail was on. I made my own ground to the frame with a drill and bolt and everything is working perfect now.