Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer?????

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by NoReGrEtS, Aug 5, 2006.

1. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of picking up a trailer, and I have a few questions. I will be towing my K5 with my 3/4 suburban,now is an 20 foot(18deck 2dove tail) trailer to long for a 3/4 ton? and when they say 18 deck 2dove tail are the dove tail just the ramps? and I'm thinking Id like the metal deck but the wood might be better for weight what do you guy think?and if I'm towing my K5 do you have to stop at all the scales like the big rigs?

Thanks Shawn

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

k5 will fit fine on that trailer . 18feet = flat deck. 2 feet dove tail = last 2 feet is slanted to help with loading and ramp angles.

you will find most fendered trailers are to tight for are trucks with more than 10" wide rims or 35" tires to squeze threw fenders.

just make sure you get the correct trailer weight range so when fully loaded your trailer and load arnt over the gvw of the trailer.

my state i dont have to stop at scales as i am not all stickered up bissness rig . nor tow truck class. personal use only. kind of like race car guys.

look in to state rules as to what axles need brakes and such. each state is diffrent and each trailer maker does diffrent things to save a few bucks.

i like my wood deck. works good for me. if it was steel lots of the stuff i haul would slide all over more and if oil on deck it slides like crazy.

i have a 10k equipment trailer for my needs. torsion axles . each wheel is independent movement. and deck is lower to ground. brakes on both axles. i added a 6k winch to frt to help load dead things.

my only problem is i didnt buy a 4ft longer trailer as my ramps and back deck edge are to close to bumper on cars and long bed trucks.

if you dont have a brake controler yet just save the money and get a prodejy thay are the boom.

10k trailer 001.jpg

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I second that...Sweetk30 covered it all real well

4. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replays,
    The burban I have has a trailer brake installed already. The guy use to pull a boat with it. Should I look into getting a equipment trailer? or are they the same thing?

Thanks Shawn

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

your basic car hauler will be in the 5500 - 6000 lbs range for working load. thats trailer and load. and kind of flimsy over time and use. i have used my 10k equipment trailer for lots of stuff over the past 2 years. she hase been overloaded by 3-4k lbs not buy my doing tho. and never said ouch . the trailer is built much stronger i think.

car trailers most weigh empty 1600-1800 lbs. mine empty is 2800 lbs. also look for the big jack on the trailer. its much better than those flimys utillity jacks. mine is rated for 10k lift. it is a smaller version of a semi trailer jack setup. no problems ever lifting tounge of truck with 7000 lbs 1 ton 4x4 truck on the trailer.

anymore questions just ask away.:D