Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailering Special

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5-tx, Aug 12, 2004.

1. k5-tx

k5-tx Registered Member

Hi, new to the board, but have enjoyed and learned a lot from visiting as a non member, but decided it was time to join...

My 88 K5 is in good shape which my older son has taken from me, but I have a few years until my younger son gets this one so this should be a good project.

Question on a 77 K5 Blazer…..

I have a 77 K5 with a trailering special emblem on the tailgate, does anyone know if this means anything special I should watch for when replacing u joints or suspension. This k5 needs a lot of work and I will be here or the body forum and appreciate any help I can get on this vehicle…This will take some time and money to fix up but I am encouraged by all the vehicles I have seen on this board and decided this was a good vehicle to start my first vehicle rebuild…

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Welcome aboard!

Hmmm, never heard of a "trailering special" K5. Just guessing, but it might be nothing more than a slightly heavier rear spring and factory hitch (perhaps with wiring?). K5s are not the best for trailering due to weight, chassis, and wheel base, so I can't imagine it would be much more than that. I wonder if it was a dealer package thing? If it's a GM option pack, I'm sure someone on here will know about it. Good luck!

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My guess is the same...class 1 hitch, the trailer wiring, and maybe a set of overload springs.

Welcome aboard! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

The only other K5 I know of with a "Trailering Special" belongs to user 350350. You might send him a PM or he might see this thread. I can't remember what he said his had extra, but I do know the emblems looked pretty neat. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My brothers 81 is a trialing special, says soemthing about the GVW and such on the decal. I'd guess it's heavier spring rating and the hitch. his also came with a 12 bolt rear with a g80 in it, dunno if they are related.

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

From Chuck's Trucks, about half way down the page...

[ QUOTE ]
    From a 1977 GM sales brochure:

"Trailering Special Packages - Recommended for trailer towing, Chevy Trailering Special Packages are available for both 2wd and 4wd vehicles in all series. The recommended equipment will vary depending on the series and the weight to be towed; light, medium, or heavy. Equipment specified in most includes a 350 - 4 bbl, or a 454 4bbl V-8 engine, Turbo Hydra-matic (TH) transmission, power steering, power brakes, HD battery, trailer wiring harness, weight distributing hitch, or ball hitch for step bumper."

"Camper Special Packages - Available on all 20 and 30 series with V-8 and turbo hydra-matic transmission or 4 speed manual transmission, Camper Special Packages are recommended for use with slide in camper bodies for pickups or chassis mounted bodies for cab and chassis models. Although equipment recommendations will vary with body weight, most packages specify camper body wiring harness, heavy duty front and rear springs, heavy duty front and rear shock absorbers, heavy duty front stabilizer bar, and Camper Special name plate. Deluxe Camper Special Package includes all the equipment in the Camper Special Package, plus these additions: Camper Tie Down Package: Elimi-Pitch Package: rear stabilizer bar (standard on dual rear wheel vehicles). Available on Fleetside models only.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I had a 77 K-10 that was a trailering special. It had 350/350 D44/12. One thing I noted after crawling under my friends 1/2 tons, it had a much larger drive shaft than the average K10. We always joked it was a 3/4 ton with 6 lugs. It could haul severe weight in the bed without even squating down. Great truck... I just sort of "outgrew" it.

8. k5-tx

k5-tx Registered Member

Thanks everyone, one of the first things I like to do when getting another 4X4 after fluid changing is u-joint change and didnt want to many surprises when I crawl under the vehicle... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

My 79 was a trailering special also...still have the emblem tucked away somewhere.

DW

10. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Here's the emblem from my '76 K5 "Trailering Special" if anyone wanted to see what they looked like.

[​IMG]

11. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep i gotta 77 k10 trailering special with 4.11's pulls like a dream had the bed packed and pullin a trailer with 2 atcs and a couch to the dunes and it hardly looked squated. everything should bolt up.im pretty sure what the differance was just the spings,hitch.