Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailering with a locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Oct 10, 2002.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I know this has been discussed but I'd like to poll a few out there who do this.
    Currently my rear is open (no pun intended) and I want to get a powertrax no-slip but when I called Reider Racing the guy said they absolutely DO NOT recommend trailering (in my case a boat) with a locker.
    I don't want to get a limited-slip so I'm at a crossroads.
    Any opinions??
    smack

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a locker and its a GM centrifical one. i tow a car trailer enough to tell you that my locker is not a problem because it takes a while to engage. A friend of mine has a locker in his M38A1(military CJ5) and it supposedly ratchets on corners, but i have never seen or heard it do that. and i would never tow any thing with that. i guess it just depends on what type of locker you have. Ever think of getting an air locker or an Elocker? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I've got an old No-Spin (Detroit Locker) in my '60 GMC Suburban 4x4 that I tow with, and never have had any troubles with it. Also have a Detroit in my crewcab dually which tows an 8500 pound offshore boat...tows it without any trouble. I say go for da locker!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I was thinking about this the other day... Since my Dad uses the K5 to tow a double axle horse trailer every once in a while.

Hey Smack what lockers are you considering to get for your 12 bolt? I'm also shopping around ... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tow a tandem axle trailer with my No Spin all of the time.
    Takes a little getting used to it locking and unlocking in the wide corners. You feel it more with the trailer. Just don't be on and off the gas in the corners let it coast around the corner then accelerate. I wouldn't trade my locker for anything. My $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You know it's there for sure. I would get use to the truck with it in before pulling a trailer. on some corners the Locker will put a little wiggle into the back of the truck when it locks and unlocks. It's very pronounced with a trailer. If your use to it and know not to freak about it it's no big deal but you do notice that it trailers different and the extra weight seems to make it engage harder.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

going up hill taking a corner the tires will fight each other. specially since you'll have tongue weight on the bumber so itll be harder for the tires to spin...so you'll probobly feel the rear jerking around. in the rain it'll cause a tire to break loose and you'll lose traction.
    the locker only 'ratchets' when power from the engine is not sent to it...so coasting around a turn it will disengage(ratchet) and most of the time you wont know its there. but up hill turns under power it WILL let you know its there. but its easy to compensate for

Ryan

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Thanks, all for the responses. One last point, though: how about towing with a locker on snow and ice -- is this potentially bad???
    Blinker, if I get one, I'm definitely gonna get the Powertrax No-slip. It's a little pricey but at least I don't have to rip out my carrier.
    I've heard the Lock-Rites just aren't nearly as strong.
    smack

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i have a locker and its a GM centrifical one. i tow a car trailer enough to tell you that my locker is not a problem because it takes a while to engage.

[/ QUOTE ] i'm sorry but you have a gov-lock. it's stock on A LOT of GM trucks and it's kind of a locker, it tries to be one. i used to think they were cool but now i realize that they suck. mine is starting to get finnicky. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Good info on this post (as most of them)
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The one major consideration with a locker is in the way that it attempts to "differentiate" when the wheels want to rotate at different speeds.

A standard differential, as well as all of the posi-type diffs that I can think of, keep both wheels attached to the driveline at all times, via the spider gears within the diff.

A Detroit Locker and all of the other automatic lockers that are widely available in the US completely disconnect one tire from the drivetrain to provide for a difference in wheel speeds. It's as if the axle on that side has just broken in half.
    This can cause strange stuff to happen under heavy engine braking. The braking load that was being shared 50/50 between the 2 tires is suddenly shifted so that one tire now has to deal with 100% of the engine braking force. The tire can skid and cause the truck and trailer to jacknife. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif This is the reason that the locker companies don't recommend towing with their products installed. It gives them a legal escape if you go out and drive your truck and trailer off the side of a mountain. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You may never be in a situation where it affects you to that extent, but you just need to be aware that you have to drive carefully if you have a locker in the rear end and tow in the mountains.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a powertrax lockrite in my k5. I tow all the time. last summer I towed my boat over 1200 miles to the North coast and back some of it on 2 lane roads that would tie a snake in knots. Anyone who has driven roads in costal North Calif. knows what I mean.
    It tows fine with the lockrite in it.
    It does take a little getting used to. You have to go easier when getting on and off the throttle in corners. But is is no major deal. Just make sure the trailer is properly loaded an is in good condition. Trailer brakes are nice to have too.
    When I do long tows I run my 10.50x31" AT tires. They work better for towing than my 33" MTs. The lockrite works better with the 31s also.

This is what Powertrax says about them:
    From FAQ page at:powertrax.com
    <font color="green">How does a No-Slip Traction System or Lock-Right Locker affect the towing of my trailer?</font color>
    The No-Slip Traction System or Lock-Right Locker will have no affect on the towing of your trailer on the road other than you will have more traction when you need it.

<font color="green">WORK OR RECREATION- NO-SLIP TRACTION SYSTEM GIVES YOU THE TRACTION YOU NEED!!</font color>
    Towing your boat, RV, or trailer is no problem with the No-Slip Traction System installed. Never get stuck on the boat ramp again. It's also ideal for vehicles with plows or that operate in construction areas.

13. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Thunder, why (I think I can guess) do you say it works better with the 31 AT's? Fairly soon I'm finally gonna get 33's and I was planning on getting the BFG Muds.
    Also, what's it like towing on snow and ice???
    TIA
    smack

14. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

******i'm sorry but you have a gov-lock. it's stock on A LOT of GM trucks and it's kind of a locker, it tries to be one. i used to think they were cool but now i realize that they suck. mine is starting to get finnicky.******

ive had my "GOV locker" for over a year and i use it hard all the time. explain to me how when one wheel spins and it suddenly (what i call locks) snaps in, is not locking? its not a limited slip, its not open. im pretty sure any thing that locks is a locker. and please what was the point of trying to cut me down any way? please dont tell me my stuff is crap because you have one that you cant wont or dont know how to maintain!
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif~~~JEFF~~~ /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

Just do a search on gov-locks. They do have a bad reputation of destroying 1/2 ton equipment, but then again some people have had good luck with them.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

With the 31s the locker disenguages and enguages with less rear end sway. Its really not that bad with 33s either. I have towed my boat just fine many many times with my 33s on. I just perferr to tow with smaller 31s for the better handeling and gear ratio, and save needless wear and tear on my MTs.
    I dont think you will have a problem with the No slip locker. I know a guy who has one on the rear of his Jeep and even in that light rig it is very smooth. I have been thinking of putting a No Slip in the back and moving the Lockrite to the front.
    One little word of warning ! In the assembly instructions it gives Max clearences measurements. make sure you are within the specs. If it is too loose the locker will break or wear fast. If you have any doubt it is best to just replace the pinion pin and thrust washers.
    As far as ice and snow. I may be crazy but not insane. I wont tow anything on ice or snow at freeway speeds. I tow a snowmobile/ATV trailer now and then in the snow but it is pretty light and at pretty slow speed.

17. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    explain to me how when one wheel spins and it suddenly (what i call locks) snaps in, is not locking?

[/ QUOTE ] with a locker, under power (in all my experience /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), one wheel will never spin with out the other. sounds like a posi

18. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well all, thanks for the advice, when the time comes I've finished installing it, I'll let you know what I think.
    Thanks again,
    smack

19. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I have tthe Loc-Right and really I dont' notice any differnance between everyday and towing. Before and after
    having installed it I do notice a differance in corners, when the pavement is wet, in the mud, and in the snow.
    Everything is benies though I would never send it back or discourage someone to not have one unless they
    stay on the pavemnet where there is little or no snow such as Arizona. In light snow it is easy to swap ends but
    that might be me wanting to play also. In heavy snows you go everywhere you couldn't and same with mud.
    Traillering I don;'t really notice a differance on the highway or interstates but in town around corners it intensifies
    the tire chirp and bang if you hit the gas hard or stay on the gas around the corners.