Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailmaster SSV's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Aug 9, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Trailmaster SSV\'s

Has anyone heard anything on these shocks? I am thinking of getting them for my truck.. What shocks do you guys recommend? I am picking up my lift today after work, and need to figure out which shocks to get asap.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Trailmaster SSV\'s

how much are they? I have heard of them but have no experience with them. Why not go with a set of Ranchos or Explorers??

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

They are 44.00 each.. What i have read about them they sound good but looking for experience. I also like the way they look. (i know that shouldn't matter)

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

10-4 [​IMG]

Sorry, no experience with them here(myself)..

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

there was a post not long ago on shocks and it seemed the mojority said go with blistein (spelling ?)shocks, just my 2 cents.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sara, I have no experience withe the TM SSV's, but can say that the RS9000's are the best that I have tried.........and for the money $60 each it isn't that much more than you're paying for the SSV's. The adjustability is nice to have and is NOT a gimmick, you can really feel the difference.

Can't say anything about the Bilsteins, but my feeling is they will be a lot of $$$$.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I agree with BlazzinOR - I have Rancho RS9000's and I love them! They are my 4x4 shock of choice from now on! I use the adjustability a lot - set them to "Stiff" when trailering. The adjustment really does make a difference. If you set them stiff your truck will handle great but the ride might be a little harsh for you. I have my fronts at 2 and the rears at 3 for daily driving. (1 is softest and 5 is stiffest)

Richard
    Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Trailmaster SSV's are a good unit - similar in design and construction to the Edelbrock shocks. I still hold a staunch preference to Bilstein, or for a slightly tighter budget, Doetsch Tech PreRunners.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the 9000's for $60 each?!?!

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Do you think the Bilsteins or Doestech shocks are better than the 9000's? Have you tried both to compare them to each other? I'm going to be getting shocks also soon, and would like to here any opinions anyone has. It seems 9000's are the shock of choice for most. TIA
    Oh yeah and I think Mikey likes the SSV's too, or is thinking about them at least....

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Our local 4WPW.........yeah, everyone bashes the online service, but our local store is awesome. The also beat everyone I checked with's pricing on the 35" SSR's and 589's by over 200 for the set. We as members of Oregon Bushhackers get a 10% discount off their best price........which is usually a 'match all comers' price to begin with. They like our business and get ALL of it with this type of pricing.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

4wpw sells the set of four Rancho 9000s for $262.99. Central 4wd sells them for 69.99 each.

The SSV's i want are 43.99 each. which would be under 200.00.

13. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I've had a set of SSV's for the last four years and have been very happy with them. Especially when you consider the cost, they are awsome. I'm not a fan of adjustable shocks either. Brush seems to auto adjust the RS9000's on my Dad's Landcruiser...not good.
    I'd go for the SSV's.

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had the 9000's on my F150 for a while and wasn't impressed - They would start fading after only a brief time on high speed stuff - I put a set of used(abused) Bilsteins on it and the difference was astounding, the Bilsteins didn't fade at all. Later I added the Doetsch PreRunners and it was just as good as the Bilsteins, with nifty built in bumpstops.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The place I bought my lift sweared by them but started selling BDS shocks because the lifts were so good and they were cheaper... well they told me to respond w/ input and I told them they sucked. So they said that is what they have been hearing and will go back to the SSV's. Pricewise the SSV's are good... love Blit's... also considering the 9000's...hmmm? [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I ran the SSV's on my 79 Jimmy. and I have complaints on them. I ran dual shocks all the way around. I don't recall the price becuase mine were half price special.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

17. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Well I think i'm gonna go ahead and try out the SSV's. I will let you know what I think of them. Shawn is getting the 9000 set up for his 4Runner. I think the SSV's will be a cost brake for me because I originally wanted the Edelbrocks, but don't want to pay that much. Thanks guys.
    Sara

18. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

What are your complaints?

19. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I'd also like to know your complaints 55willy, unless you meant to say have no complaints :-)

20. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i Have been running ssv's for about 3 months (4000 miles) and have had no complaints, they are however a little stiff, or it may be just that i have the dual front shock set up

what would happen if i just removed the outer shock on the front and ran just 1??

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's