Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trails close to NY?

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by Pookster, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Seems like nobody from NY is on this site!!
    I am looking for some mild trails to go on. Everything is stock on my K5 in terms of suspension and tires.

Anyone know anything anywhere that is under an hour drive from NYC?

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Sorry Pook, the best I can do for ya is pushing 2 hours into NJ [​IMG]

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Check out the Paragon in Sept. post. It is less than 2 hours from NYC. By the way I was born in NYC.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Theres a few trails in Bergen County NJ by the NY border. Take the Tappan Zee over the river and go west until you get to 287. Look for Rt. 17 south. Then when you get on 17, take the Sharp Plaza exit. You can go either behind the Sharp Plaza (over the bridge) or go west to Stag Mt. I would go to the Sheraton/Sharp trails first, they're easier for a stock truck and your less likely to get lost. You will have more fun there. If you decide you want harder stuff, go back over the rt 17 bridge and make a right onto Stag Mt. rd. Follow this up the mountain until you see a cable line trail on the left. I would not go here without someone who knows the area, its easy to get lost and once you get past a certain point, you cant turn around. The Sharp trails are a lot of fun, thats where I would go if I were you. Here's some pictures me and my freinds took about a year ago ftp://members.aol.com/billkind219/. Yes I am stuck there but theres a lot you can do there with a stock truck.

this picture was taken at the Sheraton trails</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Wow, those pics are great! Glad to see someone got use of the recovery straps. :)

If you guys are going out there sometime, lemme know! Hope you don't mind an amature tagging along!

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I used to go there when I was younger before Sharp was there, you were able to gain access right off of 17 and park right by the ramapo river. I work in Mahwah maybe I will do a little wheelin on my lunch break?

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

7. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Me and another member of this board (Billybob) went today. His 87 lost fuel pressure past the train tressel, last few times this happened, it was the connectors before the fuel pump but that didnt work this time. I towed him back out to the entrance at that billboard at the "Welcome to NY" sign when you first get on 287. We let it sit and it fired up later, but it was missing (water in the dist we think) so we went back in my truck. I made a real mess and now half the place is in my driveway. We found a few nice mudholes (swampers rule I am never buying another tire) and I made truck hills out of 1 or 2 ATV hills. Where in Mahwah do you work? I live in Dumont and go to LTI (McKee blvd before the Want Ad offices) in the mornings and sometimes if we have time we go up there for a little. Have you ever been on the Stag Mt. trails?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I work for Hudson United Bank on MacArthur Blvd., right up the street. I am actually going to take my beast to work tomorrow, I bought a new car and rarely drive the old girl now, so she will take the trip to work and be parked up on a snow mound and everyone will say "that guy is a real dick for parking like that!". I go out to lunch everyday with some people from my job so if you ever want to meet up send me an email. peter.snodgrass@hudsonunitedbank.com

The last time I went on those trails I was 13, now I am 25 and they must of changed a little bit.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So many people in the area.. we should just have a North East K5 run!!

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

We are having one, sort of... It's a Paragon run in Sept. There's a post further down about it.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>No more Sheraton trails!!!! [​IMG] my freind went yesterday with his quads and said there was a cop at the entrance waiting. The cop said there is no more motorized vehicle use there or at stag mt. I drove by on my way home from school and sure enough there was a cop sitting there waving me back down the hill. The only place left is the pine barrens, so it looks like if you want to wheel you gotta travel.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Is that private land or state land or what?????

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

13. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I have no idea, I think its half private half public. Aparently, there has been lots of noise complaints from the local neighborhood. That place was way to crowded with drunk wreckless ATV/dirtbike riders. Thanks guys [​IMG], you got another system closed (ringwood state park and green turtle pond were also closed). I'm going to head down to the pine barrens as soon as my truck is put back together.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

14. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Did you post this on NJFourwheelers Chris? Ox wants to do something productive in NJ, maybe here's the chance.

15. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>What do you mean by productive? I might want to head down to south jersey soon (I kinda have to now [​IMG] ), but its a long drive just for a day trip. My freind goes to Rutgers and he said I can crash there if I want so I'll look into it. </font color=blue>

[​IMG]

16. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Ox was complaining that no one ever contested trail closings in this area. Just seemed like an opportunity to do so.

The Pine Barrens are a little North of me and Forked River is way North of me, so it's outta your way, but you are more than welcome to crash at my place anytime.