Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trails over BB03

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by CK5, Aug 8, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Need some ideas for the type of trails that we want to do over BB03, I know we need to break off into smaller groups this year, let me know what your interested in, here are a few suggestions to get the ball rolling. I thought it might be a good idea to run most of the trails both days, that way it would make it easier for people to do the trails they want, I dunno, need feedback. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Maybe a Friday run for people that come in early?

Friday: Hells Revenge
    Sat: Poison Spider Mesa

Sat: Pritchett Canyon
    Sat: Behind the Rocks
    Sat: Golden Spike
    Sat: Cliff Hanger
    Sat: Hells Revenge

Sun: Lower/Upper Helldorado
    Sun: Pritchett Canyon
    Sun: Behind the Rocks
    Sun: Poison Spider Mesa
    Sun: Golden Spike
    Sun: Cliff Hanger
    Sun: Hells Revenge

Mon: TBD that day for people that are still there.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I like the idea of running smaller groups on all the same trails on multiple days. I think it gives us a chance to sample more trails.

I don't have any suggestions though, I've never been to Moab.

What size groups did you have in mind? 8-10 trucks is a nice sized group...I have been on one trip with 27 trucks and it was a friggin nightmare to say the least!

Rene

3. CK5

I would think around 10 would be good.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would think appointing a few guys as 'trail leaders' for certain runs each day would be the way to go? Hopefully people that have run those trails before? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

If you have a disproportionate amount of interest in a particular trail on any given day are you planning on staggering the start times for them?

Sorry for the multiple Q's but the possible logisitic's with 50 or more trucks in one place can be a bit much. Sign up sheets maybe?

Rene

5. CK5

Yes, there will be trial leaders for each trail.
    If there is little interest in a certain trail then we can drop that trail for another one, that is why I need some feedback. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Yes, we will have signup sheets, just would like to gauge interest in trails/ec..

6. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

cliff hanger was a good time

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I agree with LGK5, cliff hanger was a blast and has a great poser spot for pics on the way out /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I thought of doing the trail leader thing again but I don't know how many guys would want to "Ride the Storm out" behind me /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I'm also always on the late night pit stop crew so....
    Got to keep um on the trail you know /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I pretty well know Pritchett like the back of my hand and want to run it. I could lead it on Saturday if you need it. I'd like to run behind the rocks Sunday. Those are my picks.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Friday: Hells Revenge

Sat: Pritchett Canyon (D)
    Sat: Behind the Rocks (D)
    Sat: Poison Spider Mesa (D)
    Sat: Golden Spike (D)
    Sat: Steel Bender (D)
    Sat: Hells Revenge (D)

Sun: Lower/Upper Helldorado (lower D, upper lol DD)
    Sun: Pritchett Canyon
    Sun: Behind the Rocks
    Sun: Poison Spider Mesa
    Sun: Golden Spike
    Sun: Steel Bender
    Sun: Hells Revenge

I figured I would put the ratings down for some of the trails E=easy, M=moderate, D=difficult
    I ran Gold Bar Rim, Steel bender, Golden spike, and 1/2 of Hells revenge. I thought the trails were all Moderate to easy, although trails like Hells rev. have "hot tubs" which are part of the hells gates and those for a fullsize are very difficult. There things like that that will throw you a challange. I would have liked to have done Helldorado, and a few of the other Extreem trails when I went but either time ran out or I saw that everyone was going on the trails, so I went on the next aval. trail. I was glad I did on more than one instance as the groups would come back well after dark with damage. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I wanted to also go on the more extreem trails to see what I could do but was worried I would keep the pack as my K5 was not as "extreem" as the group looked.

I was completely satisfied with the trails I went on last year and hope to have the same good luck this year. I will go on almost any trail that does not have a 100' or more drop right next to me. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Well, I can help again this year bringing up the rear or leading a run...either, or.

Have you or Stephen talked to Dirk about hitting a trail with us? Like maybe lower and upper?

11. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I'd like to run: Hells Revenge, Pritchett Canyon, and the Heldorado's. I already have hotel reservations so I'm gonna be there this year.
    I don't know about those ratings, we took a stock Tacoma with 32's through Golden Spike and Poison Spider Mesa.

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There's a lot of leeway on the trail ratings, some trails favor a narrow vehicle more, some like a long truck, some drivers are better/more experienced than others, etc. About all you can do is throw out some guidelines. On a trip like this, I prefer to have everyone be overequipped since wheeling at the limits of you and your vehicles abilities means you're right on the edge of tearing stuff up all the time. On vacation with a bunch of other guys, it's nice to have some overkill built into your truck so you can just have fun and not have to fix stuff all the time. Pushing your limits is fun but sometimes best saved for smaller groups.

Anyway...
    We're looking at doing the helldorados as a "buggy/truggy/want to have a truggy when it's done" trail maybe on sunday. We'd like to spread out and do some different trails friday and saturday, then get together and do lower and upper on sunday.

Maybe we should pre-run helldorados one night?
    Spend some time around proving grounds?

13. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    "buggy/truggy/want to have a truggy when it's done" trail maybe on sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Sounds like your spotting /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Hey Stephen I want to see Wally the Walrus go through Upper in Reverse. It isn't even hard for you forward. I think there would be some interest in that.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm definitely up for proving grounds and behind the rocks...

[edit] And like I said before, I want another shot at break-over on Upper Hell... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. CK5

OK, I put cliff hanger in there instead of steel bender.

17. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Lowrider chiming in, as requested: I'd like to do some moderate trails, maybe a bit more difficult that Gold Bar Rim and Hell's Revenge (I did both last year, no Tubs or Gate for me). I'd like to check out the whole Behind the Rocks area, but don't know whether Pritchett would be o.k. for me. I'll have slightly improved hardware this year (lift, 35's, lockers, I call it 5/8 ton), but I just don't know the whole area well enough to judge.

Maybe I missed it, but have you already put up the signup list? Anyways, I plan on being there Thursday.

18. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On vacation with a bunch of other guys, it's nice to have some overkill built into your truck so you can just have fun and not have to fix stuff all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! Although your suggestion of making a Blazer into a truggy by bashing through the trail did make consider it for a minute. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Right on, Thanks Steve! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Here is the poser shot area Cliff Hanger Pic
    I'm up for any trail that doesn't turn my K5 into a Truggy.
    So any word if Tim (4x4iron) is coming up for it?
    If I miss it, consider me signed up. If we skip the sign up I'll still be there and will help out anyway I can (you knew that). I'll lead, follow, fix trucks, find sponcers or what ever works.

20. FWP

FWP CRS

I like your selections Steve. I myself am interested in Pritchet, Helldorado and Proving grounds, plus whatever else time will allow. I want to get in as much wheeling as I can.