Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranfer case disingage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Martise81, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Martise81

Martise81 Newbie

I have a 1989 k-5 with a 3 inch body lift and a np241 transfrer case. My problem is this; After I have engaged 4hi, it will not stay engaged, it will stay engaged for a while but then if i hit a bumb or go up an incline it disengages. Anybody out there have any ideas what is wrong? Thanks for your help

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You need to re-adjust the shift linkage. It was thrown out of whack when you added the body lift.

To do this take the linkage off the case and put it in 2wd, then adjust the shift rod to mate up with it.

The other thing is that the shift forks could be bad... But if this happened after the lift, I would rule that out.

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What he said, re-adjust the linkage or get rid of the body lift... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Personally, I would do the latter but that just me /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifbut readjusting the linkage is probably easier /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif IIRC,it is a super-simple linkage that just has the rod going through the shifter and a couple of jam-nuts...right?

Chris