Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drchan, Jan 19, 2003.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

I have a question. 've been trying to sell my blazer and after a few people have "test driven" it i'm having problems. when i get up to 40-45mph i start hearing a whinning noise near the t/case. when i park tthe hub(drivers side) is half way between free and lock. it moves to this posiion its self. i'll move i back to free and drive a block or two and the hub moves again.

if it is the t/case how much would one expect to pay to get it fixed. i may no even be worth it if i was only trying to get 2k for my blazer anyway

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It would be nice to know more about the blazer you have. I checked your bio, and there was nothing there. I have seen that happen when the axel joint's don't move. When you turn the truck,the axel alos has to turn with the knuckle. If the axel is stiff, it will snap back and forth. when it does, it moves the inside of the hub since thats what else it's connected to.

3. drchan

drchan Registered Member

ok, i finally filled out my bio, don't tease the profession. anyway, i just pulled the drivers side hub off and it is shreaded to pieces. there is shrap metal everywhere. i just put them on 1 week ago. i hope that hub did not cause major problems. it's kinda hard not to install them correcly so i don't know what the problem is. the passenger's side is fine. what could have caused this /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

does your 203 transfer case have a part time conversion in it? I am assuming you have a 203. Thats what most came with. if so, are you sure it's dissengaging? check the front drive shaft and see if it's locked in or not. Other than the 2 thing's I metioned, the only thing left is the hub itself. Who's hub? is there a warranty?

5. drchan

drchan Registered Member

it is a brand new warn hub, and i believe it is destroyed. when i took it off i could see metal shavings everwhere. i must have installed it wrong. i did not get new springs with the hubs i purchased so i did not use the big spring that came out with te old hubs. did i screw up? the old hubs where not warns.