Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranfercase problem.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ecks91, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ecks91

ecks91 Registered Member

Hey guys!.. I'm a new member on CK5 and I want to know if there is another transfercase that will bolt up to my 700R4 trans. I have a 91' full size chevy blazer 4x4, last year of the box body and it comes with the 208 chain transfercase, (by the way its garbage) I've gone through 3 transfercases in the lats two years. I want to know if there is one that is heavier duty and has a long life span too. I heard that a 205 geardrive will bolt on..is that true?

Appreciate the help!
    ECKS91

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

A 91 SHOULD have a 241 case, w/ the electronic speedo. Now, as to what you WANT to bolt to it, take your pick, the problem is going to be the speedo.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

He is correct, should be a 241. Your problem seems kind of unusual. I wheel the hell out of mine and it holds up.
    What is your full setup, and what keeps going wrong with the tcase?

4. ecks91

ecks91 Registered Member

tcase

Ok..Well the Tcase that i took off was a chain and it had the speedo harness pluged into it like if it was original. and the guy told me it was a 208 so i went off from there. My set up is this..350 TBI W/700R4 automatic tranny W/shift kit. Now i am not too familiar with the Tcases and so you are sayin i am suppossed to have a 241..Is that chain or geardrive or what? I changed my mind on the lift size so i am goin with a 12" lift. I just want to know the BEST Tcase i can get without having to worry about it busting on me..Thanks for the replies guys!! Oh by the way..My Tcase keeps poppin in nuetral sometimes when i brake to stop!

Ecks91

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

12" lift is excessive I think.

Do some research here, you'll find that you can fit some big tires with 6-8" and some missing sheetmetal. That is, unless you want a mall-wheeler.

Best Tcase you could find, is probably an NP205, but you'd have to find an adaptor for the 700R4. You could easily swap a TH400 and NP205 in, and never have to worry about breaking them (well, not really never, it would just take a massive amount of abuse).

6. ecks91

ecks91 Registered Member

Tcase

well my truck will probably never see mud (well not anytime soon) I like to have a good lookin truck that alot of people can admire. Now those two Tcases..what make , year and model can i find those off of? And the tires i will run will be 33's. I would like to mudd it out but its too expensive to fix damages.

ecks91

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

33's and 12 inches of lift? 33's fit stock height.

8. ecks91

ecks91 Registered Member

yeah, i know the 33's will fit stock hieght, but tire size is to conserve torque and gas to rotae them

9. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

That's the setup I'm gonna run. After I get me a new motor put in my truck :wink1: :bow:

10. clarkjw24

lol dude you've got to be kidding me. :haha: I'm sorry I can't help you...
    and welcome to CK5.

James give me a call. ;)

11. ecks91

ecks91 Registered Member

i just wanted to know what trucks i can find the tcases off of..Thanks for the welcoming! does anyone know where i can find a site where i can convert my rear drums to rotors too!? Sorry to bug you all for this!

ecks91

12. clarkjw24

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I hate to bash ya, but 33's and a 12" lift looks funny. Big tall truck, tiny tires. It'd be like putting some P265/55/R15's on at stock height.

Well, you can find an NP208 off the mid-late 80's 4x4 trucks. K-anything will probably have one. Go to a junkyard, and start looking underneath trucks. All New Process transfer cases have an ID tag on them (might have to scrape off the chevy grime to get to it, but it's there). Just make sure you pull one off that has the same transmission as yours.

If you ask me, a 2" lift with 33's or 35's, and some dress-up will give you the look you want. Or you could go bigger, but if you want to have the wannabe look; lift it a couple inches and get some 35" Thornbirds or some other tire that has the look you want. Thornbirds really aren't that great off-road from what other people say (Thornturds a.k.a.). A set of your standard TSL's would work, but have a very basic tread on them (but work well off-road). Ground Hawgs and Boggers are some good looking tires that work well in the mud.

As far as breaking stuff off-roading, if you stay under 35" for tiresize you'll be just fine. Just make sure you know the limits of your suspension for max flex and stuff so you know how to take a good line for your truck.

Tire size isn't the only important thing in wheeling, driving skill is a huge factor.

14. ecks91

ecks91 Registered Member

thanks for the info on the Tcases! Everyone has their own looks and style, and for me it's the tall clean detailed look. But i"m not much of a wheeler myself. I appreciate all your sugestions and advices..I like to watch others wheel their trucks, that kicks ass! Thnaks alot guys!

ecks91

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Please post some pic's when you get it all done. I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

16. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

if you want a direct bolt in, you'll need a NP208 or NP241 from behind a TH350 (?) or 700R4 with 27 splines.

These same cases behind the 4 & 5 speeds, and the TH400/4L80E have 32
    spline inputs.

12" of lift with 33's will look stupid. I'm talkin "Icy Hot Stuntaz" stupid. :haha:

17. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

don't forget the speedo problem, I guess unless you don't want one.

18. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into what driveshaft mods cost to work with a 12" lift? Have you seached and read about the ride quality of a 12" lift? Please, don't run anything under a 40" tire with 12 inches of lift. By the time you pay for the lift, driveshafts, brake lines, and shocks, you might as well regear and put some big tires on there.. 33's under 12 inches is not cool, even in the show truck/bling world...
    Not trying to be mean, just insightful. ;)
    James