Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranmission temperatures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by high88blazer, Sep 21, 2003.

1. high88blazer

high88blazer Registered Member

I have a 700r4 that was recently rebuilt, and I put a cooler on it. The fluid gets cooled by the radiator first then by the cooler. I live in colorado where it can get to -10 degrees sometimes and i was wondering if you can over cool a transmission. I just spent 2000 on this tranie and I don't want it to blow up again. Is it harmfull to have the fluid going back into the transmission to cold? If so how cold is to cold.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes, you can over cool trans fluid. From what I understand is it must get up to a high enough temperature to evaporate condensation in the fluid. If you run it threw a stock radiator cooler I think you should be ok, but you might ask a trans pro in your area. Call the trans shop that you got the trans from and ask them. Tell them your setup and they should be able to tell you if it is ok or not.

I personally spent all winter in Colorado last year with the same setup and had no problems with it. I did drop a transmission, but not until I put it threw the paces with a 1000 mile journey back to AZ in a 2 day period in May. I don't think it was because of overcooling during the winter.

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

should go the opposite way,cooler then to rad to trans

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The fluid is designed to work in the 175 region. You can cool the fluid too much having an external cooler after the radiator. Most new fluids (incl synthetics) are working fine down in low temps. As was mentioned, running thru the external first than the radiator is the proper setup.

There was a pretty long disucssion last week on this. Might find more info using the search function on "700R" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

P.S. Welcome to CK5, best damn board on the web /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

700r4's have a temp sensor in them. The torque converter will not lock up unless the tranny is above ~100deg. I would sugest either running it to the external cooler first and than to the rad. or putting a piece of cardboard in front of the external cooler when it is cold out.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I carboard the grill in the winter to keep the temp up. Also helps keep the heater blowing hot. I pretty well block the whole side with the AUX tranny cooler on it. That get's me to about 160 in the winter.

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

As others have stated, you can get the tranny too cold just as you can get it too hot. If you are running the tranny fluid through the radiator's heat exchanger (which IMO, you should) and then to your cooler, an ideal operating temp is approximately 15-20 degrees cooler than the engine temp. Too much in either extreme is not good for the tranny. Mine typically runs at about 160 - 180, with my engine temps staying in the 180 range at most times.