Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Adapter/Steering Coloum questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, May 20, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Well I figured I'd get em both out of the way together. Here goes To start the Steering coloum in my blazer is loose where it tilts. I've herd of this problem before and I wanted to know if anyone could tell me what to do to fix it. Also I have an SM465/NP205 combo but they are 10 spline, the SM465 in my truck is 32 spline because it is an 85. I can probably get a Long 32 spline NP205. The question is can I use the tranny transfer case adapter from the 10 spline combo to put the 32 spline NP205 on the 32 spline tranny I have or is it a different adapter for the 32 spline transfer case

2. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

The column problem happen in my 87 Buick once. I had to disassemble upper column enough to expose the frame. There were 4 allen screws that attach the frame to the tilt pivot. I removed the screws, one at a time, applied some thread locker then re-installed and tightened them. Never came loose again.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Need to use the correct spline adapter. 10 spline adapter with 10 splines, 32 with 32. Adapter is 3" longer on the 32 spline setup.

4. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

Same with mine. Caused by using the steering wheel to pull yourself into the truck. The four screws on my '88 were a reverse torx head. You have to pull the steering wheel and a mess of other stuff out of the way to get to them. You may need help with the snap ring holding the tension spring in when you do it. If it get too loose the wheel will flop all over the place and will pull the rod going to the actual ignition switch shutting off your truck while you're driving (experience). Take care of it ASAP. Definitly use a threadlock.

Pat :k5:

5. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thank you for your info I will do that first thing and I will use thread lock to stop it from happening again. I would also just like to make my second question a little clearer I'm still unsure of the answer I'm getting I was asking about the Adapter housing not the shaft coupler. Is the Adapter housing between the tranny and transfer case the same for the 10 spline SM465/NP205 and the 32 spline SM465/NP205. sorry if you have already answered this for me but I am not sure we are taling about the same piece.