Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny adjustments?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wilma, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Wilma

Wilma Registered Member

Hi!

Thanks to the good advice I´ve received on this site I have just managed to put a fresh TH700 in my -85 Jimmy. :laugh: However, I have some new problems... :crazy:

When I put the shifter in "Reverse" or "Drive" the car isn´t going anywhere, and when I put the shifter pack to "Park" the tranny makes a noise not unlike trying to shift a manual without using the clutch. :eek1:

What am I doing wrong? Could it be that the shifter isn´t properly aligned with the new tranny and needs some kind of adjusting? Do I need to adjust the shifter for 2-4WD as well?

Some good advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you in advance from little me in Sweden!

2. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

That grinding noise is the parking awl trying to engage. That tells me the transmission is turning, you don't have the Transfer case in neutral do you?:o

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The 2/4WD shifter goes on the transfer case, prolly an NP208. Did you change the transfer case as well? If so you may need to adjust its linkage ... but yours sounds like the tranny linkage.

I would say yes, your transmission shifter needs adjusting. Assuming it's like my TH350, there's a rod that goes from the steering column down to the driver side of the transmission, and mounts into a square-U-shaped bracket on the side of the transmission. Basically, you loosen the bolt on this bracket, rotate it so that the transmission is in park (by feel), then put the lever in the cab onto the P, and then tighten the bracket again -- IIRC there's only one bolt, 1/2" head.

Hope that helps.

-- A

4. echos

echos Registered Member

I just got my 700 rebuilt and all I had was forward and park, no reverse or nuetral. The linkage inside the pan from the shifter outside to the plunger was off on mine, dropped the pan hooked it up and its good now except for a quick shift (governor) and soft shift (tv cable). pos 700's