Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny and xfer case swap question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roechambeau, Nov 18, 2004.

1. roechambeau

roechambeau Registered Member

ok here goes, i am preparing to swap in a 465 and 205 from a 70, 71 or 72(can't remember) into a 70 k5. the outgoing drivetrain is the stock 3 spd and dana 20. anyone already done this who could give me a heads up on what to expect? any gremlins and such. i have searched and found that the u joints will have to be adapted and that the cross member may cause aproblem. are the drivetrain dimensions the same? any info would be a great help!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You need to use the crossmember that goes with the 205, or space your original down about an inch. U-joints are the same. Driveshaft lengths are the same or very close (close enough to work). This is a very easy swap. You do need to use the bellhousing that goes with the 465 also. The "hump" will have to be modified for the shifters.

3. roechambeau

roechambeau Registered Member

thanx for the info. i guess iam going to have to find or fab some spacers. i forgot to get the xmember when i picked up the other gear.