Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny (auto) question on Dodge truck. Also computer question on same truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyracing, Nov 22, 2003.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Here is the truck I am asking the questions about.

1999 Dodge 1 Ton Dually
    Automatic tranny
    Cummins engine
    130,000 miles

The question is this. I was going down the interstate with the cruise control set and the truck keeps kicking the cruise off. When it did it the first few times it shifted out of lock-up and even down shifted once or twice. It ran good for the next 400 miles then did it again. It was not on a hard pull or lugging and was not that windy out. Is this a bad sensor maybe? If so which one and where is it.?

My next question. I was wondering if any knows how to check the codes on the same truck. I guess there is a way to use a paper clip and the check engine light and read the flash codes. I have done that on a GM a few times but never on a Dodge. If this can be done how do I do it?

Checker Auto has the OBD II computer code readers for $99.00. It will read the codes on vehicles newer than 1996. Is this a good deal and do these computers work okay.? Dodge wants $75.00 to just hook up the truck to their system and that just ticks me off. I would rather spend 99 bucks and have my own. They have the OBD I and OBD II combination checker for $199.00. I just don't know if that would be throwing money away or not.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status