Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny blues (or reds in my case)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle Strong, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Okay, I bought a '72 blazer with a 350 and th350. It didn't come with an inspection cover, so I bought one and put it on. Ever since then it's been puking tranny fluid everywhere. :confused: Any idea what's up?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

where is the fluid coming from exactly?

3. Kyle Strong

It's almost impossible to tell, but it looks like it's coming from around the front of the pan. I've tightened the bolts up that I can get to easliy, and the weather isn't permitting me to check the rest. I might need a new gasket, but it looks like it's in good shape. I did hit the tranny cooling lines when I put it on, but I don't think that is a problem because they aren't leaking. They're bent, but not leaking. I might get a new gasket and see if that solves my problem. And when I say puking fluid, I mean puking. I have one of those drip pans underneath, and it's bright red. Lots-o-fluid :(

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Pump seal perhaps.

5. Kyle Strong

Perhaps. I'm gonna run new cooling lines and get a new gasket and see what happens I think

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dipstick...

It could be both the pan gasket,or the pump seal--but check the dipstick tube,and the detent cable where they enter the case..both of them often leak,and mimic a bad pump seal..the detent cable is held in by one small bolt,and there is an "O" ring under the flange the bolt is on to seal it to the tranny case..

The dipstick uses a rubber grommet,and it can slide out of it easily if the bracket that bolts to the bellhousing on it isn't bolted up..could be peuking out of the vent from being overheated or overfilled too,but doubtfull if it leaks while sitting and shut off.. :crazy:

7. Kyle Strong

I'll check that stuff out when the weather permits, hopefully this weekend. I miss four wheeling it. I hope it's somethign minor like a gasket. It sounds like the other possibilities are fairly easy too. Sounds like good advice though, thanks