Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny buildup...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Jun 4, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

my 700R4 is going bad, and i am planning on replacing it soon. my question is, what is the best route to take? i have saved the money for things like this, so money is not a huge issue.....(i wish), but really, i have up to $2 grand to use on this problem. what should i do?
    1.buy a new 700r4 from Jasper w/ a 3year 50,000 warranty?
    2. have my old one rebuilt with the beefy internals you can buy to replace the old ones?
    3. or switch to a th350 tranny without overdrive?
    are adapters neccesary for the th350?
    thanks in advance.....Kelboski

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I currently run a NP205 mated to a th350. This was another thing that needed attention when I first bought my K5. I had no 3rd and reverse was barely there. I pulled her off and had her rebuilt with no problems for almost 2 years now. I run the hell out of her too and she just keeps going. Yes the th350 does require an adapter, I'm not sure if the adapter for your existing tranny will work. I do know that I've heard about the weaknesses of the 700r4, none of the th350. Thats my side though. Hope this helps

3. If you lift, re-gear, have big tires or tow alot of warranties won't cover the tranny. GM in particular!! I found a stout build on a 700R4 with alot of good for a great price with Steve Holmes at BowTie Overdrive, try http://www.700r4.com

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I just got done rebuilding my 700r4(HAVING IT DONE). I looked into installing a 350. Its kind of a headache, I talked to alot of tranny shops in town and they all kind of steered me away from that route. The 700 rebuild was cheaper than a 350 swap, after all the adapters and parts and buying a 350 and the torque convertor and the 350 works harder bcos of the 208 t case so you needs a cooler and it all adds up. Oh yeah, your gas mileage will suffer too, course if we all cared about mileage we wouldnt drive a gas guzzling blazer. I had mine rebuilt for 550 bucks. The conversion would've cost me more than that. Anyway, good luck on your decision!
    creepin and crawlin
    Jim

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

My rebuild cost me $200 for my th350. Ofcourse I pulled her out of the K5 and delivered it to the shop. But you cant beat that price. I did pay extra for a stronger TC, and I had upgraded clutches put in the tranny. So it all came to $300. I've been running her hard with no problems at all.