Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny carnage!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kontradictions, Mar 16, 2007.

1. kontradictions

kontradictions 1/2 ton status

well the tranny is out, and finally inspected. Turns out the 2-4 band was totally wiped out, there was metal on metal on the reverse drum. Noticed that whomever did the rebuild before this one for some reason left the 4th accumulator out! :doah:Not to mention the person who did this didnt even block the feed hole!:eek1: Also found the 1-2 accumulator was toast!

All in all it should be ready tonight for pickup and that will let me put it all back together this weekend! Anyway, here are some pictures my guy has been sending me of the tear down and cleanup he has been doing all morning...just thought I would share

Also just incase you guys didnt know, its a 700R4 out of an 88 k5 Blazer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Transmission are one huge scary mess to me.

3. kontradictions

that's why you do what i did, leave the rebuild to a professional!

4. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Well I'm not a pro by any means, but AllDataPro is a good resource to go by, one that I will be using over the next week to figure out what went out in mine and also to overhaul it. I guess I've still got my work cut out for me.

5. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

transmissions arent that bad as long as you take photos and have the proper tools.

6. iwaxmyjimmy

Well one of the guys at the shop I work at will help me during the assembly, he also has a couple cheap upgrades for it. So, I'm really not that worried about it. But, I'm starting at 7:30 tomorrow morning pulling the trans and then over the course of next week I will be tearing it down and rebuilding it.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    Here, hold my beer and watch this!

Damn.....that's a lot of parts! I've rebuilt trans before but never really had it layed out in one place like that. scary!

8. kontradictions

needless to say im thankful this guy knows what he is doing and has been doing it for over 20+ years.

9. iwaxmyjimmy

Yeah, I have to admit I'm glad I have some great organizational skills lol. Heck, I broke down 2 10 bolt front axles the other day and everything is in its neat little spaces lol. I just felt like richard simmons typing that ewww:doah: :doah:

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Actually, with stuff piled up that like, it really hides just how many individual parts are in there. I laid every piece out separately and filled two sets of shelves.

Looking in the manual, the main drive path has 106 pieces. The servo is 26 pieces. The valve body has about 70 pieces in it. There are at least 44 parts to the pump. Then there are the accumulators (each about a dozen pieces), the shift and TV linkages, the governor, checkballs, wiring harneness, switches and solenoid, etc.

And every piece has to be in the right place.

11. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

at least yours is rebuildable, my last 350 turbo i rebuilt lasted for about 6 months until the ball bearing sleeve thing by the reverse:haha: :haha: :haha: came apart somehow someway and chewed everything, i mean everything including the case up, i wish i had pics of the carnage, it was nastttttyyyyy