Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Case? (Novice)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rooba, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Rooba

Rooba Registered Member

Ok, I've got a wierd problem and I'm wondering if you all have some insight.

If I let my truck sit for a day or two, she won't move. The engine is purring, the transmission shifts fine, but the tranny case seems to be stuck in neutral. I can shift it from 4 lo, 4 hi, 2 hi, nothing.

If I let is run for about 10-20 minutes though, it works just fine. I can shift between 4 lo, 4 hi, and 2 hi like it was brand new.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? Is it a pressure thing? Does the tranny case require pressure to work? I'm admit I'm over my head, which is why I'm hoping you all have some great insight.

Thanks!

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

what kinda tranny you got, auto or manual. seems to be your tranny not the Xcse. the Xcase is all gear driven, not hydrolic. can your Xcase lever move back n forth through the 4lo-N-2Hi-4Hi shift pattern. check the tranny fluid when cold and when hot.

the above assumes you have an auto

ARQ.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Cool another pacific northwesterner, try and fill out your profile a little more , like what year your truck is and what tranny and transfer case (if you have one) you have... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif That will give us a better understanding of what you might be dealing with.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Rooba

Rooba Registered Member

arq,

My tranny is an auto. and yes the Xcase lever can move back n forth through the pattern no problem. I'll check the fluid, that seems like it would be the simple answer. I was thinking that it was a problem with the Xcase since it seems to be engaging the engine when I shift it.

I'll let you know.

5. Rooba

Rooba Registered Member

Yup, lovin' life in the forests, mountains, and beaches. Can't beat the NW.

I honestly don't know for sure what I have for a tranny and Xcase. The guy I bought it from barely knew it was a blazer when I bought it. It's been a serious guessing game up to this point as to what is really on it. Is there an easy way to identify what I have?

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

yea, go to the tranny shop and tell them you need your tranny fixed/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. if the guy is nice he will tell you what you have under there. while you're at it ask him what kinda Xcase you have/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

if the Xcase has this shift pattern
    front
    4LO
    N
    2HI
    4HI
    back

its a NP205

if your tranny oil pan has this shape
    front
    +-----------+
    | |
    | |
    | /
    +----------/
    rear
    it's most likely a th350

but then again i am just guessing. what year is your blazer??

ARQ.

7. Rooba

Rooba Registered Member

Heh. I told ya I was a novice, but that's why I bought her in the first place.

Xcase is definately at NP205, and I think it's a TH350, but again, I don't know for sure, but it fits your description. It's a 1970. Picture is at http://rooba.net/K5.php.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

clicky no worky/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. badpeanut

badpeanut Registered Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://rooba.net/K5.php>http://rooba.net/K5.php</a>

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status