Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny clunk only when cold...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve88, Mar 16, 2000.

1. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

OK. It's been bugging me enough now to ask about it.

Only when COLD for the first 5 miles or 15 minutes (whichever comes first) my tranny clunks into 2nd on the upshift.

88K5, totally stock, automatic.

Once it's warmed up (15 to 30 minutes) it's not nearly as bad. And after 30 minutes or so of driving it goes away completely and shifts like a dream.

Yup, checked the tranny fluid while hot and while cold, both times while engine was running, and it reads perfect each time.

Any ideas? I try to take it easy on the upshifts before she's warmed up. Doesn't do it in any other gear, and only happens on the upshift into 2nd.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I'm not an auto tranny guru, but it sounds like the internal controls on your second gear are worn. Tranny fluid is thicker when cold. Because of this, the tranny will shift a little more firmly when cold causing the worn part to be more noticable.

3. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

well that sounds potentially expensive...and I was hoping for someone to say "just change your tranny fluid" [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have been hours looking for this site.All the tranny questions are answered. My K5 does the same thing...[http://www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage/]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral