Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny cold?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Oct 16, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

having some cold nights here in wv, 36ish

well i got int he k5 one morning to get some micky d's breakfast (you know how important that is) well i start it...let it sit a few, rev it up a time or two, get the idle down, everything is peachy...no heat, radiator is probably low...no biggy

so i start out the road, its about a 6-7 mile drive to the Food hole, and when i got there, i had to sit at a red light, light turns green i hit the gas and the truck barely moves, im thinking it didnt downshift, so i tug the stick down to 1st, nothin....so i am ready to pull it over and beat it with somethinhg heavy then it picks up again....starts doing ok

86k5 350, rebuilt 700R

and whats with the high idle?

i also dont have OD, the RPMs just drop, something with the TC?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

U check the tranny fluid lately or change the tranny filter?

3. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I'd do a fluid change & filter.
    Check your fuel filter, that can cause TC lock up problems. It makes you *think* it is the trannie's fault, when your engine can't really haul the load, so it goes in & out of lock up.
    And are you sure it's lock up?
    In/out of lockup = 3/400RPM
    In out of gear= 1000ish RPM
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Is your TV/modulator/kick down cable hooked up and working properly? Besides down shifting it controls line pressure in your transmission, and will cause it to act like a dog if it isn't hooked up right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif