Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txguy, Oct 18, 2001.

1. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

With todays recent events and my rear end possibly needing to be tossed for a better one... I got to thinking about getting some stuff done and over with it. It has an auto tranny... How hard is it to adapt one of the manuals to it? Whats the scoop on installing the clutch pedal? Etc... 85 Jimmy, 305

Thanks

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I hear its not such a bad conversion, but you will have to change your driveshafts lengths (shorten front, lengthen rear). I will be changing my TH400/NP205 setup for a SM465/NP205 setup in the spring ;) once it warms up a bit!

The clutch pedal and all should be easy enuf - and you can easily find a new column at the junker if you want to loose the shifter/sleeve look! All in all, my truck used to be manual, then when I bought it (without the trans&engine) I used an auto since it was easier to get ahold of for me (FREE)! But now, the 454 will have too much uumph for the TH400 [​IMG][​IMG]so I will be very excited to install the SM465 ASAP.

Good luck on your conversion!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

3. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I currently don't have a lot of room to work, and if its to involved or will take more than a few days, I don't think the local homeowners would like it... I guess I was figuring that that pedal conversion would be the hardest part of it since its not a manual frame/body... I am going out to the local yard tomorrow to see what I can come up with for parts/ideas...

Thanks for your info.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you come up with a hydraulic setup, you will be done pretty quickly, hardest part is changing the tranny/t-case. Maybe pedals, but I had nothing inside the truck when I mounted the pedals in mine.

Your truck is set up (holes already marked/dimpled) for the hydraulic setup, so I personally would hold off until you can find one of them.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

The conversion isn't too bad. I would suggest, if at all possible, getting a whole donor truck from a wreckin yard. You can use it as a reference, and it makes things much easier. The hardest part of the whole thing was swapping in the pedals. I would suggest going to a hydraulic setup. Just my thoughts.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

6. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

The conversion isn't too bad. I would suggest, if at all possible, getting a whole donor truck from a wreckin yard. You can use it as a reference, and it makes things much easier. The hardest part of the whole thing was swapping in the pedals. I would suggest going to a hydraulic setup. Just my thoughts.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Krazie, I highly doubt the 454 will be too much for the th400. I have over 500 hp in my firebird with a th400. It is a stock rebuild tranny with a 25 dollar B&amp;M shift kit. It has held up for 2.5 years so far, street driving, and drag racing. I race with slicks (28x10.5) on which is a big killer on trannys to.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I agree with DesertDueler,

A TH400 will hold up to extreme 454's. There are so many
    upgradable parts out there that you could build it up to handle huge amounts of horsepower. I plan to run one behind my 496 if I ever get it put together.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    [urlhttp://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976[/url]