Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Cooler Fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I have a tranny and oil cooler on my truck. My question is, should I upgrade to a larger cooler, or just try and find a helper fan.

Im trying to figure out if the heat builds when at lower speeds (where there is less air being pulled though) or at higher speeds (where there isnt enough surface area to cool).

There really isnt any more space to mount yet another, unless I go with one of those frame rail coolers, and pipe it all up in series.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have temp gages on all my auto tranny;s. I run a Hayden stack plate cooler on both the Burb and the 75. Never had a issue with over heating the tranny on the trail. Main fan is pulling plenty of air to keep it cool. I'm usualy around 160 on the tranny or less on the trail. It's a TH350. I haven't had a chance to install the temp gage in the 88 burb with TH400 but the hoses to the cooler have never been excessivly hot even with 7500lb in tow.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

This may sound completely wacko, but you may try considering a computer case fan. They're very small, and given the size of a tranny cooler, would be great. Try to find the one with the most CFM you can. I have one that puts out a LOT of air (enough to propel itself across the desk). I'm sure you could find a good way to mount it. It would probably be best to try to mount it right on the cooler (this may make a problem since cooling plates aren't the best mounting surfaces). You might be able to rig up a bracket that gets the fan as close as possible to the cooler. Since they're so small, it would be easy to squeeze it in close corners. As far as powering it goes, fans usually run at 4 or 7 volts, IIRC. I'm not sure if it's smart/safe to run them at 12. Try checking a wiring diagram to see if any lower voltage wires are free. I think it would be safe to run one at 9v max. It might be more complication than it's worth, but it would be an ideal size for the job and provide adequate airflow.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you put a fan in front of the cooler, at freeway speeds, you'll be worsening cooling. If it was switched, wouldn't be as much of an issue, but anything in front of (or directly behind) a cooler (radiator, tranny, oil) is a restriction to airflow, given that the fan can't pull air at greater than the speed the vehicle is moving.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Humm. Maybe just get the largest stacked plate cooler I can find?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, largest cooler you want, in front of the radiator. Realize this worsens radiator cooling ability, but probably not by too much.

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

computer case fans run at 12v, you can vary the voltage to change the speed of the fan with a variable resister also known as a potentiometer.

8. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I'm running a stacked plate cooler rated at 40k and a 12" Hayden (me thinks) fan. It fits perfectly over the cooler and the whole mess is mounted in front of the radiator and AC condinser using the plastic tie-wrap thingies they give ya in the mounting kit. I was worried about the plastic getting brittle from the heat and breaking, but they incorperate a spring loaded "suspension" and after three years I haven't had a problem yet. BTW, I wired up the fan to a push-pull switch (like a headlight switch) so there's no way that I can bump it with my knee on a rough trail and accendently turn it on. Seems to work great, I ran the plumbing thru the radiator (4 row) first then to the cooler. Even after pulling my 4500lb boat to the lake, I can grab the return line to the tranny and it's just warm, nowhere near what you would call hot. I've got the pic's of the install, but don't know to post them here. One other thing I didn't notice the engine runing any warmer either, but then again, even when pulling my boat with the truck packed with junk and the AC on, it doesn't run over 220 even after a long uphill pull. About the only time I use the fan, is on trails durring or right after a really long uphill pull.

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I don't know what the heck I was thinking. About 20 minutes after I made that post, I was messing with some fans for a crazy project I'm doing (that's not going as planned), and saw "12v" marked on them. Then I thought about deleting the post, but laziness prevailed /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

12vDC is perfect, Wacha talking about willis?! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Our trucks all run on 12V! (well, except for some of you diesel folks). If you get a 120vac , you then need to run an inverter, and those waste energy.

I was towing 5000lbs the other day, and the tranny got pretty hot. After I shut off the engine, and i went to go feel the cooler, it wasnt hot enough to burn, but it wasnt a comfortable hot either. I also had to sit through like 2 hours of traffic.

Does running 2 coolers reduce flow? Or should I just get a larger single one?

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I know our trucks run on 12v!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I just thought fans took less voltage, in which case it would have been an issue, but they run on 12v as well.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

doh, talk about reading what you want.. I completely missed that part when you said something about the 9v and the lower power wire.. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Too hot in NYC... melting my brain...