Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny cooler installed for $89.99

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jul 8, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

Is that a good deal? I don't know much about them and haven't priced the cooler by it self, but I saw the sign on the side of the road at a tranny shop. Figured for that price, why not.... but is it a good price? I live in the 110* + temps of AZ, so i'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't bother to pay someone to do that. Cooler can be found on almost anything. Tempo, explorer all kinds of things. I have a few of them kicking around. 4 hose clamps and 3-4 feet of hose is what I bought and installed in about 5 minutes. The longest part of the job was topping up the tranny fluid again. I know that's cheap but my way is cheaper. :D

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pep Boys has a Hayes brand tranny cooler (10,000 pound capaicity) for about $55. You can install it yourself for free. That is what I have in my 1991 V3500 Crew Cab. I run mine direct to the cooler, instead of inline with the radiator.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on what type of cooler they are installing I guess. For a benchmark, a B&M super cooler (the big stacked plate one every one likes) is $60-70 by itself, with no fittings, hoses, clamps or anything. Somehow I doubt the trans shop is installing one that good...

j

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Spend the money on a better cooler and install it yourself.....they are easy to do.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would be willing to bet that they will install a fin cooler behind the radiator on your truck with the little tabs that push threw the radiator. All of this is BAD.

The finned coolers are not as good as the stacked plate coolers. Stacked plate coolers are more efficient and tougher. Stacked plate coolers can be had from Jegs or Summit for $45-75 ready to install with fittings, hose, clamps, etc.

Putting a tranny cooler behind the radiator is a waste of time. By the time the air gets to it to help cool the fluid it is already passed threw the radiator and gotten warmed up or the hot air inside the engine bay will be on it. Put a cooler infront of the radiator or it is pretty much a waste of time and money.

Using the little tabs that push threw the radiator is a very bad thing. Not only will the cool be sitting on the radiator (heat soak) but the little tabs will wear holes in your radiator cores and cause it to leak. Trust me I know from experience.

Make sure you get a good cooler from B&M or the like. The crap most of the auto parts stores sell is junk, even the stacked plate stuff. Also since you are in the AZ heat make sure to get the biggest damn cooler you can find. I have 2 coolers on my truck. Both B&M Super Coolers. One is an 18000lb cooler and the other is a 22000lb cooler.

Harley

7. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Does this B&M cooler look like it would fit in front of the radiator on a '79 Jimmy? it's 19k GVW. Just want to get a 2nd opinion from you guys before ordering. Thanks.

8. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

That looks identical to the cooler I just took off an f-250 my buddy was scrapping. Same dimensions, same input, output. Mine is about inch and a half thick.

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That looks like a good tranny cooler to me (good price too). It should fit. If you have the A/C condenser in your truck, then you will have to mount it on the front side of the radiator support close to the front grill, but if your A/C condensor has been removed, then you can mount it to the back side of the radiator support...farther back away from the front grill.