Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny cooler lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HELLBENT DESIGNS, May 20, 2005.

1. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

hi i am planning my tranny cooler line routing. i plan on using an fittings with #6 hose. i purchased a b&m suppercooler 28,000 gvw. it has the 1/2" npt fittings so i can use the an stuff. question is can i just run the cooler lines to the b&m cooler? i have read about going through the stock cooler in the radiator first to get the fluid up to temp quicker, but i will not be driving this in winter (as of now) is just using the cooler a bad idea? it would make hose routing so much simpler. :confused:

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mine is run just thru the cooler. i'll be rerouting back thru the rad first soon... it takes a long time to get up to temp and in the winter its rediculously long... it'll run 160 eventually these days...
    [​IMG]

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Mine runs straight thru the cooler as well and I havn't noticed any ill effects from it either, but then again the bitch won't start below 30 degrees :blush:

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Proper operating temps are necessary to evaporate off the moisture. good operating temps are like 160-200, with 175 apparently being the "optimal" temperature. (I say apparently, because that is the general consensus on the net).

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Especially since you live in Montana, I would leave the factory cooler installed. I just happened to be reading about tranny coolers in the TH400 book, and he specifically said to leave the factory cooler installed in cooler climates. Actually helps warm the tranny up in the winter. Like previously said, the tranny needs to be warm enough to evaporate the moisture out.