Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Cooler lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Oct 24, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Got my tranny in after the shop dropped and broke my case. Well they put the new case on and now the tranny cooler lines won't bottom out in the transmission. They leak like crazy, so do I need new lines or an adaptor or kick the tranny shop manger's butt, or what?

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Take it back! Let them deal with it.

They messed it up!

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

it's already in the truck...I guess I could tow the whole truck up there, but I hate letting them have anything of mine after this. I sure as hell don't want to have to pull it again, that was a real pita...I plan on them paying for new lines, but what exactly do i need? The napa guy had no clue.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

4. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Just ask the shop for the old fittings. The new case obviously came with different fittings which are deeper. No biggie. Take about 5 minutes to swap 'em out... If you don't quite know what I'm talking about, there are two brass fittings that screw into the case which the cooler lines in-turn thread into.... Get the old ones.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Yes, you need the brass fittings if they are not there. The cooler lines will screw into these.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I haven't been back over to look at the truck, not too sure if it has brass fittings or what. I assumed that the threads were part of the case and that my line with male thread screwed into the case and bottomed out somehow. The problem being that I screwed the old lines into the new case all the way but the thing leaks ATF like no tommorrow. Everyone said not to use teflon, but should I? I don't know what the problem is here at all. Simple probably, I know. New brass fittings would help how?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    The Road Goes On Forever.....And The Party Never Ends!

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    The brass fittings are the female threads that drop in to the area on the transfer case that your cooler lines screw into. The ones in your current tranny are probably longer than your old ones hence you run out of threads on the fittings on your lines before the lines bottom out in the inserts on the t case. Had this problem on a 74 and I measured the amount of thread on the lines and went to the parts store and they fixed me up.

8. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

The lines don't screw directly into the case. They screw into the fittings I spoke (typed) of earlier. Don't use teflon tape. The seal is not made by the threads like a standard fitting... It's made by the flare union between the tranny cooler line and the fitting. GET THE OLD FITTINGS. [​IMG]

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks. Never seen the inside of a tranny...no I take that back, me and my buddy pulled his TH350 and wanted to look inside. So we pulled the round plate by the input shaft and pulled it out. All the clutches and stuff fell out on the ground and we said Aw heck, then stuffed it all back in there somehow and took it to the tranny shop. Auto trannys just confuse me i guess. But now it's all clear, thanks guys for the help.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    The Road Goes On Forever.....And The Party Never Ends!

10. James

James 1/2 ton status

Makes sure you have the lines from the radiator to tranny cranked down tight as hell as well as the brass fitting the lines connect to. I just installed th350 was leaking as well at the brass fitting. Just torqued down real tight and ok. My poblem is the freaking dipstick still leaks where you pit inot tranny housing?