Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny cooler plumbing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thfonz98, Sep 1, 2006.

1. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

noob(to this) warning!

well ive mounted my b&m tranny cooler on my DD 91 k5( http://www.bowlingballexchange.com//upload_files/grillpic.JPG , didnt want to drill too many holes in the support so i only drilled one ) but now i need to plumb it.

I know which line from the tranny to go into and thus which hole in the radiator tranny cooler to use and have the fittings if i wanted to use the end that enters the rad. cooler BUT i dont have enough hose to do that. I presume transmission shops can sell me hose(i know i can get it online).

Also there really isnt enough room to run hose (through the holes in the radiator support seems too tight and the edges are sharp).

I presume i should cut into the tranny plumbing underneath the truck. Is there any resources online to show or explain how to cut the tranny lines and how to put fittings/ends onto the lines?

everyone was a noob at some time. be nice please

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

you can get the high pressure stuff at any local auto parts store, and regular clamps, not super high pressure where you need compressed fittings or anything,,

you can run the hoses through openings on the core support, and around the radiator, if you're worried about sharp edges, use some other hose of some kind and wrap the cooler hose with it at those edges to help protect them.

3. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

do i need to worry about the hoses expanding much when they are under pressure(as its kind of a tight fit through the holes in the core support)?

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

that high pressure stuff won't do much expanding, it's pricey, but it's what you need. I have had mine on now for about 3 years, never had a problem with the hoses wearing out or leaking.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not at the 15-20 psi max that they're likely to see.

ATF is thin stuff, it'll find the smallest place possible to leak. Use two clamps about an inch apart for each hose to tube connection. If you have a double flare tool I'd recommend that you do the first half of a double on the tube end.

On the wrapping with another hose trick, I cut that outer hose in a spiral if I have to cut it at all. Then hold it in place with zip ties.

6. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

thanks, ill get it done labor day(if i have enough length right now) or not.

ps and spraypaint the brackets black maybe too.

7. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

Ended up having to work labor day so i hooked everything up today.

Bought extra tranny oil cooler hose just so i knew i had enough length.

Topped off the fluid after i drove around some(added a quart and should add a little more according to the stick(dont know if it was full to the top to start with though).

Again thanks!