Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny cooler Qs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Aug 2, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

OK where should I mount a trannycooler. There is some kind of a cooler on the front crossmember below the radiator but its not very good and I dont know if its for the tranny or oil. Also do I just have to disconnect the old one and hook up the new one to the old lines? I guess I will be changing the fluid too. And how big of a cooler will fit down there? I only found one at AutoZone but they'll order more.

90K5

2. River

River 1/2 ton status

I bought mine B&M cooler from summit racing.
    Placed it in front of the airco-radiator and the instructions that came with the cooler told me to connect it in the return oil pipe, so i use the inbuild cooler in the radiator and the extra cooler from B&M.

River `89 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 2.73, 10 bolt F, 12 Bolt R

3. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I have the same set-up as River, opposite of the oil cooler. Oil goes from the tranny into the cooler in the radiator, out to the new cooler and back into the tranny. If I remember right, its a six row cooler, width - just fits between the mounts in front of ac cond/radiator.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Where is the a/c radiator?

90K5

5. River

River 1/2 ton status

Your a/c radiator is in front of your engine radiator if you have off cours a airco.

River `89 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 2.73, 10 bolt F, 12 Bolt R

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The strange looking cooler you are refering to under the radiator on the crossmemeber is for the power steering. My '90K5 Jimmy is "stock" and has a transmission cooler mounted on the left of the radiator and a engine oil cooler mounted on the driver's side.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks everybody. I got my cooler today and put it on. I don't know why they say it takes 30 minutes. It took me like 6 hours because stuff kept getting f@#$% up. I hooked it all up and then realized my fitting to the bottom hole of the rad. is messed up so I switched the lines around and bought some new ones and now it shoots ATF everywhere when I shift it. I know what hose it is coming from but my dad thinks that its because its going from the bigger hose to the smaller line. It has the clamp on really tight so I'd think it wouldn't really matter. Does anybody know what I need to do? I'd like to drive my Blazer again soon, but driving my dads new Acura isn't bad [​IMG]

90K5

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well it was messed up because I didn't have the clamp on tight enough but I fixed it last night. I didn't test it though because I was tired of working on it which is really rare. I started it up after I got home from work and it shifted with no squirtage. I added some fluid and its good now. I am glad I did it but I haven't had a chance to drive it much yet.

90K5