Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Cooler questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

first off, let me say I hate almost everything about Automatics, except for the inherent ability to just put it in drive and go, and the ability to eat a hamburger in bumper to bumper
    traffic...

with that said, the @%#&in' tranny cooler in my 73 K20 sprung a nice sized leak... I need to replace this thing, and after gazing in horror at the prices they have listed for them at the
    auto parts store, one of my friends old ideas came to mind. I figgure I'll check here before I try it on my own, but what kind of problems could be associated with me going to a junkyard,
    getting an AC condenser from a wrecked jap mini truck, and using that as the tranny cooler instead? I figgure it'll cost less then the 30-70 they want for a tranny cooler at the auto parts
    store, and offer roughly 4 times the cooling area. I've heard its possible to `Cold Shock' an automatic by over cooling the tranny... is this true? or is it unfounded?

I need to get this fixed ASAP, and any info would be appreciated....

thankyou in advance,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You CAN overcool an auto tranny, but typically they run so hot, its hard to do. As long as the cooler wasn't too big, can hold the pressure, (don't know squat about AC systems) and flows good, I don't see a problem. But if you are at the wrecking yard looking for a used AC condensor, why not just look for a used tranny cooler? : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I COULD look for a used trany cooler, but the way I see it is I may as well get prepped up and ready to go for dumping in a T400, with an overpowered 454 behind it.... :-P

I'll prolly see if I can find one of those super heavy tranny coolers at a junker before I put an AC cooler in there.... the AC cooler can hold up to the pressure of the AC system, so it makes sense that it'd be able to hold up to the transmissions pressure... truthfully, I suppose I could go rip the AC condenser off of my parts suburban, and have no problems at all... it'd fit perfectly in the K20 too, hehe come to think of it, the parts burb has an HD trailering T-cooler in it....

I gotta go take inventory of that thing sometime soon....

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My '79 came with an external oil cooler. Maybe you could find one and clean it out real good and use that?

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I got one of the large "Long" stacked plate coolers for $10 (IIRC) out of a local yard. I also got a smaller one (stacked plate) to use as a PS cooler.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

I say just spend the $ for a tranny cooler and be safe.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How cool is TOO cool? my return temp is about 120-130 during normal driving during the winter. It gets to 160 if I push it. During the summer it runs 160 normal - 190 if I push it.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This has been covered extensively on here before, but IIRC, optimum temp was somewhere in the 190 low 200 range. Don't take that as gospel, but since tranny temp could, ideally, match engine temp (in a stock vehicle, since radiator cools the tranny) I can't imagine 195 would hurt anything.

I'm slightly amazed that yours runs at 120..that jsut sounds WAY too cold.

Wait for others to chime in : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You want your tranny fluid to get hot enough to fully evaporate any water that condenses in the tranny. Moisture and tranny parts don't get along with each other. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is the return line temp off the coolers. The tranny itself would be hotter. From what my tranny guy told me I would guess my tranny runs at about 180-190 or so.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

11. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I heard 150 is optimum after that the life is cut in half for every 15 degrees higher you go. Summit sells a tranny or oil thermostat for like $40 run you line through the radiator and then to the thermostat if it is over 160 degrees it will send it to the tranny cooler, so there is no such thing as overkill on your tranny cooler and the tranny still warms up fast

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

There most definatly is such a thing as overkill in a trans cooler. You need to have the tranny at temp for all the above mention reasons.

DO NOT overcool your trans, or you'll be looking for a new one quicker than you might like...

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

13. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

There most definatly is such a thing as overkill in a trans cooler. You need to have the tranny at temp for all the above mentioned reasons.

DO NOT overcool your trans, or you'll be looking for a new one quicker than you might like...

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

14. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

15. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

clicky! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=27058&amp;prmenbr=76&amp;lastcat=2624>Remote Oil Thermostat</a>

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

16. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I'd just drop the bucks for the proper after market cooler and be safe. $70 or $80 is still cheaper than a new tranny.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

17. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

clicky <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=27058&amp;prmenbr=76&amp;lastcat=2624>just trying out how to clicky to oil cooler thermostat</a> thanks chris