Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny cooler questions???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Jan 13, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I want to get a tranny cooler for my 87 700r4, but I am not sure what type of fittings I need it too have...can anyone help? I believe the basic two are -6 AN and some type of nipple for rubber hoses. What should I run? Does anyone run a tranny cooler in series with the stock one in the radiator?

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

B&M makes a nice kit with tubing and fittings. It took me about 45 min to install. www.partsamerica.com and the local Checker/Shucks etc. carry them.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pep Grils. Hayden. Complete kit for chevy. Stack plate like the B&M

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

not tryen to steal your post here but were any stock coolers formed with the raditor or were they just infront? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a stacked plate cooler I will sell you for $25.00, it is actually a factory engine oil cooler and I had pipe bungs welded on so you can get the correct fitting for the hoses to connect. It is the same size as B&M's largest stack plate cooler that sells for $50.00 +

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

The stock cooler is in the radiator, I beleive the other cooler is the engine oil. I still need to know what kinda fittings I need to bolt this thing to my truck. I looked online and found one B&M kit and it was -6 AN fittings...are those correct?

7. 4X4HIGH

From the sound of it, it seems as you already have a new cooler but just need the fittings, am I correct? What cooler did you buy and maybe I can help you?

8. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Dont have the cooler yet, I was getting ready to order it and noticed that they offer two different types of fittings. I just need to know which one to get. The model B&M cooler that I was looking at is the 70268, is that what you guys have been getting?

9. 4X4HIGH

If you look back up to one of my other post, I have a stacked plate cooler I will sell you for $25.00, hell I will even give you the correct fittings needed to make it work. Most people are using the B&M 70266 cooler which sells for $59.95. This cooler is a 28,000 LB. GVW and measures 11" x 8" x 1 1/2"

10. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

what else would I need to run your cooler? Why do people run such a large cooler...is it really necesarry?

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

yes it is necessary, esp on a 700r4 if you are running bigger tires. The biggest enemy to auto trannies is heat. Once the fluid gets too hot it breaks down, stops lubricating, and kills things in your tranny like the clutches. Knowing this would you feel comfortable driving on a 95 degree day with a cooler just barely high enough, or would you like to know you have a beefy cooler and your tranny is safe and cool? For the $20 difference in coolers it beats a rebuild.

12. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I feel you on the heat thing. So where have you guys been putting these things? I was thinking on the oposite side of the oil cooler (pass side in front of the radiator)... is this where people have been installing them?

13. 4X4HIGH

You should arrange to come to Fremont and check out the cooler and my rig with my same cooler on it and how I mounted it. I did mount it opposite of the factory engine cooler and it looks like a factory install.