Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny cooler suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Sep 27, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I know, this has probably been on the board a million and a half times. But, I wanna get a few reccomendations for a tranny cooler. I think my 700R4 could benefit from one. I was thinking, since I'm gonna have 35" tires in the future, I should get one that is around 19,000 - 24,000GVW? I dunno much about tranny coolers, but it's best my 700R gets one before I get bigger tires and possibly a shift kit in it. I don't tow anything with the truck, and I do a mild amount of muddin. Nothing hardcore or anything. Any suggestions on what size and brand I should get?

[​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a built 700R...I run a Hayden...the bigger the better...it's crucial for a 700R, built or not...if you're gonna rebuild yours...Jet Performance sells their upgrade in kit form...or you can buy one outright for $1500...the difference is night and day...best money I have spent so far...JD

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

K5 is right, the bigger the better and Jet has a wonderful 700R4. 1500 is about the same price that you could get yours rebuilt for at a good rebuilder in your town after they do all the upgrades and if you have a local mechanic that you trust and will give you a good warranty then I would keep my money in town, if not, buy a JET and do the labor yourself. Also, when rebuilding a transmission, any transmission, this is to everybody on the list who reads this, change the front T-case seal while they are seperated! they are only a few bucks and it will save you a headache down the road.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a 18000 gvw trans cooler on my 89 with a 700r4. It works good for me. I tow my ski boat lot, did a 1000 mile tow in the heat of the desert this summer. Also do a lot of 4 wheeling. No overheat problems. Had the pan off the trans a while back and it was clean as a whistle. I change the fluid every year(10,000mi).
    700r4s last much longer if the fluid is changed often. And a cooler is a MUST have. If you are going to run a large cooler(24000+gvw) and live in a cold climate you may want to block it off with a piece of cardboard in the winter. Or add a thermastatic controll bypass valve.So the tranny fluid will be able to reach its normal operating temp when its very cold out.

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I have a 19,000 GVW trans cooler by B&M on my '89 and it is more than adequate. They are under $100.00 Like it said above, it's a must for a 700R4.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

6. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Have a cooler on mine too. 700R4 has 65,000 miles on it, 40,000 of it with 35's. Installed B&M shift kit. Stills shifts nice and crisp.
    While you're a it, its a good idea to install a drain plug kit. Big help. I change fluid 2x a year and the filter 1x. It saves me from having a big mess.